74 - Secrets & Second Chances

The bell signalled that the school day was officially over. I rushed to the exit so I could begin my journey home. The day of the Summer Sunset Seasonal Soirée was upon us and I was more than excited. I had put my heart and soul into the planning of the soirée. At first I wasn't sure but after hours of trying to get the drapes hung properly and positioning the chandelier,the idea of the soirée grew on me. I felt like I was a part of something and I knew it was going to be a success. I couldn't  wait for the night ahead.

I got to the end of the hall and found myself face to face with Malachi. It had been ages since I had seen him.

"Slow down",he chuckled as he saw me approach.

"Oh look who remembers that I exist",I rolled my eyes.

"Don't fight with me, I waited for you so we could walk home together",Malachi shrugged as he opened the door so I could exit.

"It's been so long, I barely see you",I said with a hint of disappointment in my voice.

"That's why I'm here",Chi smiled.

As I was about to walk through the door a voice echoed through the atmosphere.
Jamie's voice was loud and rushed. I turned to face him as he caught up to Malachi and I.

"Mia! Wait!"

"What are you doing here?",I questioned him.

"I got out of detention, Mr Gabriel had to leave early. I thought maybe I could take you home",Jamie said catching his breath.

"I was going to walk to Malachi."

"No, it's cool. We can always link another time, go ahead",Chi nudged me.

"You understand right?",I whispered to him.

"Of course, I got things to do too, Archer",Chi rolled his eyes as he retreated from Jamie and I.

"I missed you",Jamie admitted as soon as Chi was out of sight.

He pushed open the door and we headed outside. I noticed his father's Ford parked in the parking lot. I followed him to the car.

"Me too, I haven't seen you in like two days."

Jamie unlocked the car and jumped into the front seat. I opened the passenger door and hopped in feeling nervous.

"You okay?",he looked at me as he stuck the car key into the ignition.

"Your dad let you keep his car?"

"I know, I was surprised to. I guess mom convinced him

"How is it staying with Aunt Cindy?

"She's super cool, she let's us do whatever",Jamie nodded impressed as he thought about it.

"As long as you two are happy, hey where is Jamie? Isn't he supposed to ride home with you?"

"I'm not my brother's keeper",Jamie rolled his eyes as we pulled out of the school parking lot.

"Sorry",I laughed as I looked out the window. The pit in my stomach gave me an uneasy feeling. I needed to come clean to Jamie before someone else told him. Unless someone else already told him.

"I need to tell you something",I blurted and then instantly felt like opening the car door and rolling out onto the road.

"Go for it",Jamie said as he concentrated on the road ahead.

"Uh"

"I'm listening",he said in assurance.

"I may have kissed Marcellous, but like when we weren't together",I said as I tried to explain.

Jamie kept his eyes forward and his hand on the steering wheel as he turned down the street.

"Jamie?"

"I know, Penelope broadcasted that fact to the entire school and I may not have been there but many people took delight in informing me",Jamie smiled.

"Jamie, I'm sorry. "

"It's okay, I'm not mad. I was but then I realised we weren't together so I had no right to be. I was the reason we weren't together so it was my fault",Jamie spoke  with regret in his voice.

"It wasn't your fault. Marcellous and I became friends, things got a little complicated and he kissed me. I stopped him I swear. I guess I should have told you",I admitted.

"You should have but it's fine. It's the past. Just don't kiss him again",Jamie chuckled a little.

"Trust me I won't. Who knew guys were such douches",I sighed.

"Did he do something?",Jamie looked at me.

"No. Hey I have something else to ask you"

"I'm listening."

"So you know how Sarah and I volunteer at Oregon Gardens. Tonight is the annual soirée, we planned almost everything and I really want you to come",I smiled at him.

"That sounds fun and super fancy too, wait are you asking me to be your date?",Jamie's smile grew even wider as each word left his mouth.

"Maybe",I laughed.

"Well in that case, I would love to be your date to the soirée",Jamie leaned over and kissed me as he pulled up to my house.

"Wear something nice",I said touching his plain white shirt.

"What colour are you wearing?",he questioned.

"It's a summer sunset theme, so I was going to go with red. I have this dress my mom got me a while ago",I explained.

"I can already visualise how beautiful you're going to look",Jamie kissed me again, this time on my forehead.

"Someone is being romantic",I gave him a look.

"Don't question it, just accept it",Jamie said sternly.

"I have to go, be there by six okay? I have to head to Oregon Gardens soon",I said as I opened the car door.

"See you later,Mia",Jamie kissed me one last time as I got out of the car.

"See you later,Jamie."