CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: The Verdict

ERALD

DAGDAG NA trabaho kung tutuusin ang pagsali namin sa hearing ng Student Grievance Committee. We could have said "no" and focused on more pressing matters, such as interrogating the suspects in our list. But Charlotte, our club president, decided to participate in the investigation.

Under normal circumstances, I would have objected and reasoned that I am not interested to take any part of it. My mind told me that this wasn't my business and I have no time to spare. But knock, knock! My conscience appealed to me, saying that I could make amends for my guilt by letting Charlotte have it her way. Guess which between the two won?

By lunch time, the QED Club convened again at our headquarters on the third floor. A messenger from the grievance committee delivered initial reports on the topic to be tackled later at four. Binigyan na nila kami ng transcript ng audio recording na ipinost sa Clark High Confessions. Detalyadong-detalyado. Pati sound effects gaya ng pagkaluskos ng pinto, nakalagay.

After reading the first page of the document, I slid the folder on the table and sighed. Clyde and Charlotte were still busy poring over the files, reading every line quietly.

"Nagtataka rin ba kayo kung sino ang tatlo pang member ng committee na 'to?" tanong ko sa mga abala kong kasama.

"Definitely not the other student council officers or the executive committee members," sagot ni Clyde sabay lipat sa susunod na pahina ng kanyang binabasa. "Since they are closely associated to the student leaders in question, they might be suspected of bias. They might be called as witnesses though."

"So my sister and that Reign won't be sitting in the committee," I put my hands at the back of my head and reclined on my chair.

"According to the rules, the chairperson won't be voting," Clyde pointed out, underlining a particular paragraph on the document. "Only six members will vote on the decision. In case of a tie, the chairperson will have to break it."

Napaangat sa amin ang tingin ni Charlotte. "Ang ibig sabihin, kung pareho tayong tatlo ng magiging boto, we can automatically bring the decision to a tie."

"Unless at least one of the three other members has the same vote as us or if one of them abstains," Clyde finished. "Kung iisa ang boto natin, we are just one vote away from deciding what the judgment will be on the president and the vice president. Otherwise, the chairperson has to cast his vote."

Napabuntong-hininga si Charlotte at saka isinara ang hawak na folder. "To be honest, I feel for the student council. We may not know them that much, but the two officers seem responsible enough in the performance of their duties."

"But what we are trying to resolve here is not whether they are good or bad leaders," Clyde argued. "The question is whether or not they violated some provisions of the Code of Conduct for Student Leaders."

I recall reading the paragraph where the possible violations were stated. First, the president and the vice president were alleged to have violated the principle of decency expected from student council officers. Second, the misuse of a school property such as an office or a clubroom for other purposes neither directly nor indirectly related to the performance of their duties.

If the audio recording was fabricated and the two officers never committed any sexual act in the campus premises, then they are to be absolved from the allegations. Kaso kung totoo ang mga ito, they would be in hot water. So hot that it would scald not only their dignity, but also the reputation of the student council.

While in the middle of discussion, we heard three knocks on the door. I told whoever's outside to come in. Pagbukas ng pinto, bumungad sa amin ang mukha ni Reign. Compared to the last time I saw him, he was looking unhappy. The scandal must also be taking its toll on the execom.