33. How Religion Poisons Individuality (Part I)

There are many Christian books on Wattpad. There are many atheist books on Wattpad. There are particular discrepancies between the two genres (despite the most obvious) - views on self-expression and individuality. 

Let me explain.

On most Christian books one can find here on Wattpad, there is chapter after chapter discussing certain topics that are deemed to be sinful, wrong, and something from which a godly Christian should refrain. These are a handful of said topics:

- Homosexuality

- Sex before marriage 

- Pornography 

- Transgenderism 

- Piercings

- Tattoos

- Swearing 

- Abortion 

- Birth control 

- Divorce 

The list goes on and on, which is deeply upsetting. 

Almost everything on that list is part of human expression. It's what defines us as human beings, as unique, and as individuals with something wonderful to share with the world.

The large part of Christianity that believes in this completely takes that away and forces everyone to conform to a traditionalist set of standards that are crushing many of today's youth into depression, anxiety, a long list of mental disorders, and even suicide. 

Is that really what Christianity is about? No, it shouldn't be. But that's what it has come to in today's modern society where equality is (mostly) better than ever and people are finding more unique and special ways to express themselves, all of which Christianity deems sinful. 

1. homosexuality

We all know the typical Christian response, "being gay is wrong and not what God wanted but he still loves them and we should treat them equally, but they shouldn't be able to get married like heterosexual people, that just crosses the line"

Although Christians who say this are adamant not to be deemed as homophobes, there's no escaping that label. 

"But Halley, they're not homophobes! They just said God loves them and they should be treated equally!"

Sure, sounds good on paper, but let's replace homosexuals with black people and then try to tell me it's not racist, "being black is wrong and not what God wanted but he still loves them and we should treat them equally, but they just shouldn't be able to drink from the same drinking fountain as whites, that just crosses the line"

If that sounds racist to you (as it should), the statement above that should sound homophobic. If it doesn't, you need to take some time to evaluate your morals. 

Some Christians might come to argue by saying that since black people clearly have no choice in being black, the analogy does not work. SINCE BEING GAY IS NOT A CHOICE that argument falls flat on its face. 

How many times do us gays (remember, I'm bisexual) have to repeat this?

BEING GAY IS NOT A CHOICE 

I hope everyone can understand this. The issues with people of the LBGTQ+ community and Christianity are tense, and only cause heartache and distress.