six

"Hey, uh, Mom?" I sit down across from her and her boyfriend, Ted. "I think we've got to have a little talk." 

Instantly, I feel Mom's eyes on my outfit. It's different than what I'd normally wear, but I'm meeting Mitchel right after this and I want to make myself look nice. He's taking me out to dinner then taking me to Jacob's house. Since it's a Friday night, the whole gang will be there. Since he's gonna be around quite a bit, he might as well get to know them now. He's at the corner waiting for me now, at a small diner which my eleven year old self considered the 'hot hang out spot'. 

"What's going on?" Ted asks. I shift in my seat, cracking my knuckles and taking a deep breath. In through the nose, out through the mouth. 

"So...." I take another deep breath, looking around the room anywhere but at them. "Do you remember in August when Sasha and I went to Adelaide?" Mom nods; Ted glances at her then does the same. I start fidgeting with my fingers and feel my legs start to bounce on their own will. "Well...I met a guy at a club. His name is Mitchel."

"Are you moving out?" For a second, it appears as though my mother's face lights up as she says those words. I shake my head, and that's when Ted sighs. 

"Take a sign, Linda." He says. "She's pregnant, you idiot!" Mom's face is one of shock and confusion at first; but it quickly becomes one of anger and distress.

"No!" She yells, on her feet now. I stand up as well, backing towards the front door. "No! Aleka Thea Stocklin you are not pregnant!"

"I'm sorry." I whimper. I feel hot tears threatening to break free from behind my eyelids. "I....I have somewhere to go."

"Good." Mom gets in my face now. I can feel her breath all over my skin, crawling over and threatening every inch of me. "I don't want to see the likes of you again. You are an absolute disgrace. I cannot believe you did this! You're so careless!"

"Timothea," Ted speaks, the Greek word rolling off his tongue. Before anything else can unfold, I grab my car keys and head out the door, slamming it behind me. I grab my phone, dialing Mitchel's number as I allow hot tears to stream down my cheeks freely.