Chapter Eighteen - The Void of the Soul

The Nether Plane was brighter than they had expected.

They had all come out the other end on all fours, retching.

They had not coped with the travel well, but now they had gotten over it, they were standing around ten metres apart from one another, showing the small differences in when they had put their hands on the orb.

'This is a whole lot funkier that I was expecting.' Kai said, half to himself, fascinated by the intricate moving patterns of the ruby and jet that swirled all around them.

'We should stick together.' Said James, not really to anyone in particular.

None of them were paying attention to each other, all too ensconced in the world around them.

After a few minutes of being mesmerised by the Nether Plane, they remembered that they were there for a reason.

'So which way should we head?' Kai asked, snapping out of his daydream.

'I've read quite a bit about the Nether Plane,' James said, 'and I don't think it matters.'

The others were puzzled by this, James realised he needed to explain.

'The Nether Plane doesn't follow normal spacial laws, moving in one direction doesn't necessarily mean you'll end up where you're headed, that's why it can be so dangerous; the only things that can help with direction here, is physical landmarks.'

'Like those ruins?' Lei asked, pointing into the distance.

They spun to see what she meant, from where they were stood they could see what appeared to be the remains of a castle.

'Let's head towards that then.' James said optimistically, and they set off for it.

It took them much less time than they had expected, due to space being different.

They had formed two natural groups; James and Lei walked ahead, and Kai and Apphia walked slightly behind.

'Want to hear my favourite joke?' Kai asked eagerly.

'Actu-'

'Great, man walks into a bar.'

Apphia gave him an incredulous look.

'Ouch.'

Apphia burst out in a laughing fit.

'Wow, you actually found that funny?'

'No, I'm messing with you, it wasn't funny.' Apphia said, sticking her tongue out at Kai in a playful way, Kai stuck his tongue out back at her.

'One day, I'm going to make you laugh.'

'I woudln't bet on it.' She replied, just before Kai was knocked off his feet and sent flying.

Apphia cried out, span around, and saw the white knight, how had she tracked them here? She thought. She didn't have long to consider it, another pulse came at her, knocking her off to the side.

James and Lei spun round, Lei instantly sent a dual pulse at her, something she'd been practising, but to no avail, the woman in white cartwheeled out of the way, sending a ruby blast at Lei and sending her flying.

An emerald beam came for James, but he teleported out of the way, reappearing behind her.

James fired a pulse at her, but she dodged it, a true cat. She fired a pulse at him, but once again he teleported away.

Once more he fired a beam, and she dodged it, teleporting from her shot.

He reappeared again, but this time he met a wave that came straight at him, knocking him flying, with the lasting memory of the white knight hitting the ground.