twelve

Alina

-

It's New Year's eve, and Peter and I were invited to Gabriel Sanchez's party. His parties were known to be the best- i'm talking insane. He's had that rep ever since freshman year when he threw a massive homecoming party. Now, he's the go-to guy.

I looked at my outfit one last time, making sure it looked "party-ish" enough. I wore light blue high waisted jeans with rips at the knees, my pink classic Vans, and a white sweater loosely tucked into my jeans. My hair was pin straight, and my makeup was a natural dewy look. I usually never went to parties, but ever since Peter came along, I've been invited to plenty.

Peter shot me a quick text that he was outside, so I gathered my purse and made my way to his car. He gave me a swift kiss on the cheek before driving off, not a word being said the whole way there. There was something so awkward and unsettling about the silence in the car. He wasn't as nearly as present as he used to be, and I didn't understand why. I didn't do anything wrong, I don't think....

My thoughts were interrupted by his car jolting to a stop, and I looked to my right only to see Gabe's massive house. The music was blaring and people were scattered everywhere, and I already had an uneasy feeling about this party. Peter got out of the car, pausing to wait for me to catch up to him. He walked beside me, a straight look on his face. What the hell was his problem?

I was about to ask him when one of his friends from the football team shouted his name, inviting him over.

"Pete!" Jacob I believe his name was, had an award winning grin on his face as he saw Peter approach him.

"What's up man?" Peter smiles; the first I've seen him smile all night. I wrap my arms around my stomach in insecurity, standing behind Peter. There was so many people here, but I felt so alone. I looked around to see if I knew anyone here, and I did, but not well enough to go up and have a full-on conversation with. I guess I was just stuck here.

"Hey Alina!" Jacob says with excitement, taking a swing of whatever was in his cup. I waved at him, throwing a small smile his way. I didn't want to be rude.

Peter continued to converse with Jacob more, so I just decided I would head into the house. It was freezing outside but oh so toasty warm in here, and I was relieved. I went to the kitchen to grab myself something to drink, because I literally had no clue what else I would do. This was the most awkward I've felt in a really long time.

I poured myself some cranberry and Malibu, stirring up the drink just the way I liked it. I took a sip and savored the flavor. My eyes roamed the kitchen and living room which were right next to each other, just scanning the multiple people within the crowd. People were playing beer pong, taking shots, dancing, and of course, the ball drop was live on the humongous flatscreen in the living room.

"Hey you!" A familiar voice shouts over the music, and I turn my head to see none other than Lucas. I smile as I see his warm and welcoming presence, giving him a side hug. He leaned on the counter next to me, taking a sip of his drink.

"Where's Peter?" He asks, knowing that we'd usually be right next to each other. I shrug, my gaze moving to my shoes.

"Who knows." I say, pursing my lips. I look back up at Lucas who has shock written over his face, and he scratches the back of his neck.

"Wanna talk about it?" He asks worriedly, worry evident on his face. Before I even answer, he grabs my wrist gently and leads me out to the backyard. We sit on the porch swing, looking up into the beautiful night sky.

"So what's going on with you and Kavinsky?" He nudges my knee, and I look up to stop the tears from welling up in my eyes. I didn't want to cry, especially at a party where everyone from school could see me.