twenty three

Third person

-

The baby was Peter's. 

A part of Alina wasn't so surprised, though she'd definitely hoped it wasn't his. Liliana gave birth to a baby boy, Peter took a paternity test, and it turns out, Liliana told the truth. The condom must have ripped. Alina wanted to stay by Peter's side through this, though she knew Liliana would still be in the picture since she was the mother. This just further complicated things, and Alina couldn't handle it anymore. 

She broke it off with Peter after months of agonizing drama between Liliana, Peter, and their baby. Alina didn't want to be stuck in the middle anymore, and she knew that Peter's baby will always be first. Alina didn't mind that part because of course, most parents did put their babies first (as they should). It was Liliana lingering everywhere like a bad nightmare that Alina couldn't shake. That's when Alina had decided she had enough. She did tell Peter that if they were meant to be in each other's lives, their paths would cross again one day. Alina knew this wouldn't be the last time she'd see or hear of the beloved Kavinsky boy. 

With the support of both their parents combined, Giselle and Alina moved out of Texas. They both needed a new change, and they both decided to pursue their college schooling and careers out in sunny Los Angeles, California. Both girls wanted to solely focus on their careers, put their relationships behind them and leave their past in their home state. As far as Giselle and Alina were concerned, this was simply the best decision they both have made. 

School was going extremely well for both of them, and they both couldn't be happier. The freedom of living in a completely different state than their past life was exactly what they needed -- exhilarating, refreshing, and life changing. They've been lucky to call this beautiful state their new home for nearly eleven months now. 

It was currently a sunny, hot day in Southern California, and both girls decided that tanning by the pool would be perfect for the nice Saturday they've been having. They both shared an apartment in West Hollywood, right smack in the middle of everything. 

"Do you think we'll live close to each other after we graduate and go off on our own?" Giselle asked her best friend, slipping her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose. Her focus landed on Alina, who laid flat as her tan body soaked up some more rays of sun. 

"Of course, I mean we've been talking about this since we were little. Who would've thought it would just be in California instead of Texas." Alina chuckled, finally facing her body toward Giselle. 

"I know. I can't believe we really made it out here. These past several months have been crazy." Giselle laughed softly, tiptoeing around the whole "Peter and Liliana" subject. Alina just didn't care to talk about it. When she said she was leaving her past in Texas, she really meant it. 

"I have something to tell you." Giselle hesitantly said, her expression now becoming serious. Alina peeked one eye open again, sitting up after seeing the expression on her best friends face. 

"What is it?" Alina asked, evident concern laced within her voice. 

"I know we said we were just focusing on our careers and schooling right now, but... I sort of met someone." Giselle finished, looking at Alina with a hopeful expression this time. 

"Who?" Alina's curiosity was piqued. It was no secret that many men and women in California were  attractive, but Giselle never seem interested in the people that bustled throughout the huge city they resided in. 

"She's a paramedic, for a fire station downtown. She works with firefighters," Giselle confessed. 

Alina raised an eyebrow, because she never took Giselle to be the type to be attracted to women in uniform. Though, admittedly, it was hard not to be attracted. It was something about a uniform on someone that just made them instantly more powerful, more in command... more resilient. "She comes into the same coffee shop I do almost every morning, and she gave me her number one day. We've been talking ever since." Giselle's smile seemed to grow as she talked about her newfound beau, making Alina smile.