Chapter 23 - Secrets

Ralph

I heard the unmistakable sound of her voice quietly echoing throughout the halls. I ran along the never-ending circular hallways, occasionally stopping when I thought her voice became more clear. Though I was always lead back to the same spot, the spot where I heard the screech of sneakers behind me. I still couldn't get over the fact that no one was there, I waited for what felt like hours before I heard footsteps leading the other direction, but the footsteps didn't lead to anyone. When they stopped a couple meters down the hallway there was no person anywhere in sight. My mind had to have been playing tricks on me.

But it was here where her voice was the strongest. I placed my ear against the wall and hear her faintly ask something I immediately knew that I couldn't be crazy, she actually was behind this wall.

"Willow?" I called and pressed my hands against the surface. "How did you get in there?" I asked but received no response. She couldn't hear me. I pounded against the wall to see if it was a secret door or something like that. How come Allen didn't show me this room when he gave me a tour of the lab?

All of a sudden the wall started to dissipate right in front of me and my eyes shot to my hand, the part of the wall it was placed on was glowing. I backed away from the collapsing doorway in shock. When it was over I peeked my head through the now reviled access point.

She was kneeling on the ground facing a holographic figure. I could hear her heavy and rapid breathing in the deadly silent room. "Blake?"

She turned around and took in a deep breath, her eyes were wide and it looked like she was about to cry. "Dibny?" She stuttered.

I approached her cautiously observing her current state. "What's wrong?"

She looked down at her hands then back to me, "Nothing... nothing, but... he's... he's alive..."

I paused in confusion. "He's alive Ralph," she repeated and tear rolled down her cheek. But it wasn't a tear of sadness, it was hope. Then, it hit me like a bag of bricks, her father. Her father is alive. But how did she know? Her reaction signalled that she was sure he was, last time I saw her she wasn't sure.

"How?" I faintly asked. All the leads I ever had lead to a dead end, my only conclusion was that he was in fact, deceased. I never told her that though, It wasn't every day that one of my patients would stick around for a second meeting, it was even rarer that one as pretty as her would accompany me on a date. I wasn't going to lose that.

"I don't know..." she admitted eyes wide and stood up slowly.

"Well, where is he?" I decided to ask. She opened her mouth to respond but no words came out, she closed it and looked blankly at me.

"I... I don't know!" she repeated and her expressions became sorrowful, another tear rolled down her cheek. I took a step forward and wrapped my arms around her crying figure, embracing her. "I'll never know!" she cried into my shoulder. "What's the point of knowing if I will never find him... if I'll never see him again, it's worst knowing he's alive!"

I hushed her, "We'll find him, I promise," I comforted and let her spill her emotions.

Eventually her sniffles became less frequent and her breathing slowed and I reluctantly let my arms fall from her sides. "It will be okay, we'll find him," I soothed. She wiped her eyes with the sleeves of her S.T.A.R. Labs sweatshirt and took in a deep breath.

"Are you sure?" She sniffled staring up at me.

I paused, "Yes." I didn't know for sure but I was going to do everything in power to help her. Hopefully this would be a promise I could keep. "You'll find him, I can guarantee it."

"You're right. If he's out there, WE WILL narrow him down," she light-heartedly smiled and wiped her eyes again, burying her tears.

"Everyone to the Cortex, NOW!" A voice bellowed over the intercom and she laughed. Her whole attitude seemed to change in mere seconds, I could tell she was still distraught under her smile. It worried me that she could suddenly switch her emotions like that. It made me wonder if the smile I see everyday was even real...

"Damn Cisco," she joked, "always ruining moments."

I looked around the inclosed room and tried to forget about my previous thoughts. "how do we even get out of here?"

She smugly walked up the the secret door and it opened right in-front of her. I smiled and followed her outside of the futuristic room. We walked along the silent halls for a minute before she stopped. I turned around and looked at her. Her once joking attire completely faded away again and she put a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, you mind, maybe, not telling the rest of the team about that?" She asked seriously.

I nodded, "You are sure keeping a lot of secrets," I pointed out.

"Um, well, I'll make sure to tell them eventually. I just don't want to bother them with my unsiginfent problems," she stated and lifted her hand and continued towards the Cortex. The problem was that they weren't insignificant, her father being alive after all these years and leaving no trace of his existence was an important issue.

"They are not insignificant, I'm sure that they will help if you ask them."

She didn't respond right off the bat, "maybe," she sighed. "Just not right now." she calmly decided. I had to respect her decision but in the back of my mind I couldn't help thinking that she'll won't tell them until it's too late.

We walked into the laboratory's place of action and met up with the rest of the team.

Iris announced, "guys we have the third piece of the necklace. My dad found out that it was on display at central city museum, but when they found out it was a target..." She brought up a map of the city and zoomed in on a moving dot that represented a vehicle.

"It's on the move," Barry cut in.

"Yeah, it's being transported via armoured car to a storage felicity in Brooklyn heights," she continued.

"Alright, Ralph?" Barry caught my attention, "let's go."

"I guess I'll go get my UGlY suit," I complained with fake joy and Willow
smiled.

"I guess I'll go get my UGlY suit," I complained with fake joy and Willowsmiled