Ch.6

The wildlife made their night noises around the outside of the Blue Phoenix. The crew had gone to sleep except for a few to keep watch. Dawn was beginning to rise slowly but surely.

A small clutter in the kitchen didn't bother the twins much as they did their job at watching over the ship. They would've been in the crow’s nest above the upper deck, but they let a certain alchemist have time for himself up there.

Rudiger runs out from the kitchen with a tiny wrapped cloth in his mouth. He chitters while going up the shrouds.

Varian hugged his legs, his head laying on his knees. Many thoughts flooded his mind and it was hard to keep hold on one thing, though one did pop up more.

His actions toward St. Croix.

Honestly, he had no idea what he was doing. All he could see is the automaton he controlled and right at the last second he was moving the pistol away from St. Croix's head.

Also the way you were pressuring him made it worse. It confused him, like he was fighting with himself.

“Ugh.” Varian hit his head on his knee. “I got off track. I really need to leave.”

Rudiger jumps beside him and smiles, holding up the wrapped cloth.

Varian smiles faintly and pets Rudiger’s head, “Thanks, buddy.” He unwrapped the cloth to find a perfectly made sandwich. Even a cooked egg.

Rudiger couldn't have made this.

“Do you like it?”

“He better or else it was a waste of time.”

The twins.

Varian silently groans and ignores them while putting the sandwich aside.

“Aw.” G pouts.

“Eat it, ya Parasite. Captain told us you needed a late night snack.” J narrows his eyes.

Varian glares at him, finally getting a good look at them up close.

They were both oriental, black hair, and red markings on their cheeks, then lastly the golden leaf necklaces hanging out from their blue scarves.

“We use to be good chefs.”

“Yeah, because we wanted to make our little sister the best meal when she grew up.”

Their downcast eyes show that they were feeling the same thing Varian had felt. Disappointment in themselves.

“Welp! Enjoy your sandwich!” They said, their moods switching quickly and slide down the shrouds.

Varian splits the sandwich and hands the other half to Rudiger. “I guess everyone on this ship has problems.” Maybe it wouldn't be bad to stay for awhile. “Or maybe they can help me find the Princess.”

When the sun rises up, most of the crew started on their duties while Munch keeps it all in check, though he would sneak a few snacks from the supply room.

“Many times I have always seen the beauty of setting and rising sun. The colors all blending as one to make a masterpiece of emotions.”

The quill stops writing before it starts again, the ink staining beautiful lines on the parchment paper.

“Though, now that I am nearing the age of a young adult. There are a few things that I wish I could feel that I never appreciated before. I always push it away.”

A knock on the Captain's Quarters snapped you out of your thoughts. You sigh and place the quill away. “Enter.”

The chittering of a raccoon gave away on who came in. It's not that you dreaded that he came in, but you just didn't want to deal with anyone today. One of your moods. You were glad Lady Caine left with her men and her dad. Even if she did steal some supplies, it was things that could easily be replaced.