Ch.16

Lightning flashes dangerously bright. Illuminating the cold and raging waters for a brief moment. The booming thunder shook the skies. 

A young teen pirate fighting underwater.

It goes dark before the same light brightens the fighting figure once again, only this time they held an unconscious teen male close to them. 

The muffled thunder rumbles with the crashing waves above the surface.

The only things not disturbed or bothered by everything are the dark shadows quickly swimming after the pair. The deadly deep wounds upon their slimy and scaly skins. Glowing slit irises in rage and hunger. Sirens. 

Time didn't exist in that moment. Only survival. There was no telling how long the young pirate captain fought in water before her body crawled onto sandy land. In her hand, she grasped tightly to the collar of the teen male and his raccoon companion clinging to her back. 

Safety. 

Away from water. 

Away from that damned place. 

The young captain had no idea how long or how hard she swam, but right now. She wanted rest. Except….the boy next to her needed to be checked. 

Your fingers checked for a pulse near his neck and his wrist. No heartbeat. Mentally, you cursed in your head before pushing in the center of his chest in a quick movement.

Nothing. 

This time you let a foul word slip, "Shit." 

You gently tilt Varian's head back and lean in, give two full breaths into his lungs. Pulling away, you give his chest one more push and the young teen suddenly coughs up water. 

Fortunately, he was breathing though still unconscious, but also safe and alive.

"Idiot." Your eyes immediately shut and letting your muscles relax into sleep. 

><---------><---------><

The moonlight cast down on the three beings. One of them was Rudiger who sniffed around the area and stood watch for a good amount of time while staring at the ocean. The raccoon companion chitters in satisfaction at the safe place and curls up close to Varian's side to get rest. 

In the dark yet calming waters, a couple of dark figures rise up to stare at the resting humans. Sirens that had followed and were about to attack. 

Until a blue mist appears and bursts into blue flames, stretching its wings out and the screech giving a warning to stay away. 

The sirens hiss at the blue creature, but leave at the celestial being's protective aura. Them, knowing very well not to mess with anything higher power than themselves. 

It never shows itself. Only in very rare times, this only to be a small interference since sirens can be quite stubborn. With a single glance at the young teens, the Blue Phoenix disappears in a mist. 

><----------><---------><

Rudiger sniffs around and stops after spotting the ripped cotton sails move near a makeshift campsite. His mood perks up and he bounces over to sniff the sleeping face under the cover. A bare hand comes out to gently brush the companion's face away. 

"Rudiger. It's too early." A male voice mumbles and they pull the sail covers closer to their body.

An image, clear as day, flashes across his mind.