Ch.12

A sack of sand goes past in a blur before another one after the other. A body misses or either falls to the floor, but each time they get up and try again.

That was Varian.

You watch intently at Varian's attempts at staying on his feet while holding onto his sword. He falls. He gets back up. It continued on until he stayed on the floor. You rub your temples stressfully because this wasn't getting him anywhere.

Varian groans, “I can't stay on my feet. Can we do something else?” There was no answer and he sat up to see you're gone. “Rouge?”

This is what he hated.

Your surprises.

“Captain?” Varian cautiously walks around and grips the sword close.

“Remember to always keep your eyes open, Raccoon Boy.” Your voice echoes.

The sudden attack at Varian's boots made him fall to the floors and he groans in pain when he's kicked away. Varian holds his side and tries to get up, but a pair of hands grab his shirt which caused him to collide into a wooden column.

“Your opponent will never stop attacking and they will make you feel like you're weak. Bloody cowards if you ask me.”

Varian can tell you're slightly losing yourself just by your accent in your voice. So he knew he had to try to be ready for anything to come at him and it didn't help that the sword was laying away from him.

An attempt to go for it would be a mistake. You knew him like he knew you, so-

Varian gasped at the blade striking down out of nowhere and without thinking and out of panic, he caught the blade in his hands. “AH!” Varian cried out in agony.

The blade had sliced through his gloves and meet with the skin of his palms.

“Ya IDIOT!” You glare and stick the sword into the wooden column above his head. “You were thinking too much!” You grab Varian by the wrists and yank him up.

The pain brought tears in his eyes and it didn't help that you were screaming at him. Honestly, Varian had never been treated like this before in his life. Sure the occasional lectures and slightly raised voice from his father, but it wasn't like this.

“Ya do realize yer enemy will not care if you cry or take pity! They want to make sure you won't hurt them!” You squeeze his wrists.

Varian wanted the pain to stop and without a thought, he kicked your shin and tackled you to the floor.

It caught you by surprise yet again at his sudden strength, but you composed yourself before he punched you and you grabbed his fist.

Varian is flipped over you and lands on his back, but he gets up.

The two of you rolled around and tried to hit each other, only to counter each other over and over again. Soon you're on top of Varian and the two of you are pushing back each other's faces.

The heavy smell of something metallic hits your nose and the sight of red on your face caused Varian to pale. His grip wavers and you pin his wrists above his head. You're both panting and staring at different things.

Varian stares at his blood on his clothes and yours, feeling sick to his stomach.

You were staring at the open wounds on his palms, making you shiver at the ghost feeling on your back. Your hand runs down his arm while you pull away and move off of him.

The only sound in the room were the heavy breathes and the faint whimpers of pain. The young alchemist had quite the fight in him, especially when he wasn't thinking. You hated to push him to his limits, but it was the only way to get him to move on. This world wasn't going play nice, especially to someone like him.