E P I S O D E - 2

"Episode 2 - Secret married life."  

Finally, I looked up at him, keeping our body entangled. He also had a gold band around his ring finger. We didn't get married in a chapel or a court house. The only thing that marries us is a fake marriage licence and driving licences but we never cared about the logistics. What binds me to him are my feelings for him.

Knowing that I can't breathe without him.

What's even scarier is that I don't want to.

I sighed once more. "Are you sure you want to do this? The whole husband and wife thing?" I asked. We hadn't talked much about it because we didn't speak to many people and usually it was just him who was out, interacting.

"I know it's not a real thing but last night you said you wanted normal. It's been three months. We can't just stop living." He kissed the tip of my nose.

"You already know that I don't believe in the constitution of marriage or what a vow means to people. Let's face it. Even if people stand in front of friends and family and a minister, it doesn't stop people from cheating, divorcing and abusing their partners, it means nothing to me. So, if I can let the slutty girls know that you're mine without jumping through hoops, I'm cool." I pushed up, waited for him to lean down to meet me half way before his lips settled on mine.

"I wish that asshole got that idea when he saw that ring on your finger." His face hardened. He'd grown his beard out, hair longer too, cut in layers so only the ends could reach his shoulders. He even bulked up.

"You look like a grizzly bear." I stroked his full beard. His face transformed again. The corners of his eyes wrinkled, full set of teeth made an appearance.

He was beautiful.

"I'll take that as a compliment." He shook his head, releasing one arm to retrieve his drink. I followed suit. "I still hate that you keep your cutting your hair."

"I have to keep it short." I had to cut my hair short, to his dismay. My hair just about touched my shoulder, cut in long strokes.

"You didn't need to dye it." He complained. Dying my hair light brown brought him on the verge of hysteria. This time, I was the one to shake my head. The extended roof on top of the deck protected the wooden chairs from snow. Sitting down, we finished our drinks outside. Our current home wasn't like anything I lived in before. It was a small shack compared to what I was used to but it was the most luxurious place I'd ever lived in. To me, it was heaven.

The dark wooden cedar house was only one story high. One bedroom, an en suite bathroom, kitchen and the lounge were a one big open planned room. That was enough for us. For me at least. The simple pleasures of life were the most wonderful pleasures.

However, there was nothing simple about us. We were both murderers. Both prisoners, running from our captors. We looked over our shoulders every time we are out. Both sleep with guns under our pillows. Not only that, we've hidden more weapons all around the house just in case something happened.

When we escaped, it was near the end of summer and I still remembered the pain. The gut searing pain where the bullet had penetrated me. The sobbing begs from Gabriel and kind eyes of Nathan Ross and Linda.

A different kind of chill crawled up my back then spread around my body like tentacles, engulfing me from inside. It wasn't because of the cold air around me but because of the memory of the freezing metal table I was on for hours. I hated thinking about it. I hated remembering it but it was better than the memories from my childhood.

I turned towards him, found Gabe absently rubbing his right knee. My heart hurt at the thought of him being in pain because of me. If it hadn't been for me, he wouldn't have had to risk his life like this, neither would he have had to be in this darn cold weather. I blamed myself for a lot of things but making him suffer was worst guilt to carry.