E P I S O D E - 5

"Episode 5 - Leverage."

It was around 11pm when my face started to hurt from the cold. Even the hot chocolates I had didn't counter the chill in the air. We had German hot dogs and bought so many items that made my arms hurt from carrying them around. We bought wolf fur rug, a rabbit's fur Russian hat, Jasmine, sandalwood and tropical scented candles. I almost felt normal.

I bought myself some pretty handmade necklaces and silver earrings. A simple wind chime, couple of mindless decorative pieces for the house and some European snacks. We were on our way back even though the crowd was still thick. We spoke to quite a few stall owners who told us that people from different cities in the state comes to the festival every year.

They also had a fireworks show on new year's eve, which I bet looked awe-inspiring against the back drop of dark sky and the mountains.

"What if it snows?" Gabe had asked to one of the shop keepers.

"The mall is made of glass. We just watch from there." Was his response I usually didn't look forward to things but this little new year's event, I was very much looking forward to.

"I want to take some chocolate strawberries home." Cheekily, I smiled up at him. He never said no to me.

"I'm not even surprised." His laugh made my stomach quiver. It was low and husky. So masculine it turned me on. "I might get another hot dog and the swirly potato fried thing to go."

"You love this." I bumped my shoulder against him, teasing him.

"I do." He nodded, jubilantly. "As a kid it's kind of lame but when you're an adult and can buy whatever, it's awesome."

His smile was infections. My cheeks hurt from smiling along with him. The stalls were a mile long and it took us a while to get back to the mall. I was excited for my second round of food. We turned the corner, a man among the dense crowd stole my attention. He was tall, the puffer jacket and hat disguised his figure but something about the profile of his face made my stomach flip.

I moved slowly, keeping my eyes on him.

An image appeared in my head. A teenage boy, lanky and thin with bright blue eyes holding out a brown teddy bear with a happy birthday sash across it. I had to look up at him, my small hands reached out, snatched it away from. A giddy emotion seared down my throat.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I heard Gabe's voice through the thick fog.

I hugged the boy quickly. Happy to get another bear. He smiled kindly when I pulled away.

"Happy birthday Princess Lucia." He faked a bowed.

There was a tiara on my head, a real pink diamond one. Black curls swayed around my shoulders, a pretty pink princess dress ticked my knees. The dark edges around my memory started to lift bringing the whole picture into view. There were other boys around his age, maybe older, all greeting each other. Majority of them had my skin colour. The oldest of them came over, reaching for my hand.

I happily obliged, taking his hand. He was my favourite because he didn't tease me. Instead he put me behind him shielding me from everyone.

My heart churned.

Cousins.

A whisper came forward from the back of my mind.

I gulped. They were more like my brothers. My eyes drifted upwards, two older men were behind them, patted one another's back like they were old friends.

"Elena!" Gabe was in front of me in a flash. "Baby, you're having an episode."

Breathing out, I dropped my head on his chest. His cold fluffy jacket engulfed my face. I was back but the memory wasn't torturous. In fact, it was a sweet one. I rubbed my face against his chest, snuggled closer to him.