F O U R T E E N

Kayla's P.O.V

It was finally the day.

I finish putting on some light makeup on when I hear loud voices coming from outside.

I look out the window in my room and see the simple decorations hung in the backyard where my family members gathered around.

A smile crept on my face as I saw everyone who came to celebrate my cousin's engagement.

I cheerfully walk away from the window and decided to join them downstairs.

I still can't believe one of my favorite cousins is getting married to her middle school crush.

It's just amazing you know?

I always thought that if someone loves you as much as they say they do, they will stay with you until the end or at least as long as both of them were happy.

And seeing them be this happy and still love one another gives me hope.

Hope that one day I will be in that position. Or at least close to it but I don't think that will ever happen considering the reputation I uphold.

I wander around greeting a couple people when I see my beautiful cousin.

"Rose!" I say with a smile on my face.

She quickly looks over and excuses herself as she walks over to where I was.

"Little cousin," she says as she embraces me into a hug.

"I missed seeing you," she says letting me go.

"I missed you too, Rose,"

"So how are things here? No boyfriend yet?" she chuckles.

"None of that. They are too much work to keep up with," I laugh.

"Only you would say that."

"Yeah, that's me," I lightly chuckle.

"I still can't-"

"Who's that?" my cousin cuts me off.

I furrow my eyebrows and look over my shoulder to see who she was looking at.

From a distance, you could see Ethan wearing a white button-up with black jeans and fancy black shoes.

The one thing I forgot about.

"Do you know him," Rose asks.

"Yeah, he is my- my friend?" I say doubtfully.

"Friend, huh?" she says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes in annoyance and notice Ethan stopping to greet my parents.

"My mom invited him and I thought he wouldn't come," I stated.

"And why is that?"

"I-"

"Hey, Kayla!" Ethan calls.