Long Live the King

Azazel's pov

    I looked over the crowd that has gathered around. I had just announced that I had something important to tell everyone, including servants. They don't have a clue about the king's death, well Baran knows but that's it. Speaking of which, Baran had just walked in. His eyes instantly met mine. He knows why this meeting is happening.

    After a few more minutes passed the bottom floor became filled and so did the ledges. Most, if not everyone is now here. 

     "Everyone, as you all should know, I was chosen by King Melville to be his heir. And as sad and impossible as it may seem, his reign has now ended." I paused to hear their reactions, it was mostly consisted of gasps. They all looked at one another before I began speaking again, "That means that I, Azazel, is now your new king.

     "This may worry some of you, as of before now I have been that loyal servant of Melville. I was an asshole. But do not fear, as I promise to you all, I will change our kingdom for the better! I will change all of the rules that our previous king had put into place. And I know that most of you have only lived as slaves to our kind, and the ones who are higher in ranked probably had to go through horrible things to get there." That part I said looking at the female guard, Varri. She was the one who had hugged me on my 'day off'. 

      "I will make sure that that disgusting tradition does not continue pass Melville." I said with a snarl, "And instead we will work our ways up the ranks depending on our abilities. 

     "And now I want to talk about demons. Rules will be changing for you as well. You will now have shifts. And there will not be a single water demon per bathroom. There now will be 3-5 on duty at all times. You will switch out on the hour. And when you are not on your shift than you will be treated as an equal to our kind. I know that this may not make some Daemons happy, but the demons are apart of our kingdom so they will be treated as such." There were some mix results about this but most of it seemed to be happy about this change.

     "I'll change more of the rules in the next couple of weeks. I have a lot of them to look through. But I will try my best to make them fair for everyone. We will be the warrior species once again!" They actually started to cheer at that last bit. Melville and his ancestors had changed the rules so much that we had lost the warrior species title to the Angles. Yeah I know it sounds stupid, but that's what happens when you let stupid daemons rule over the rest.

    I walked out of the large room letting the others go back to doing whatever it is that they do. I called all of the guards up here though. They all lined up in front of me. I looked at Varri.

    "Varri, I want you to be my personal guard." I told her. "And your partner can be one as well."

     She seemed shocked at this.

    "R-really? You trust me?" She asked surprised. I smiled at her.

     "Of course, you and I are two of the same. Both of us were mistreated by Melville to get to the positions we are at." I told her. 

     "T-thank you, I really appreciate this." She said with slight tears in her eyes.

     "You're welcome, now choose whoever you want to work with." I said.

       "I-I would like it if my old partner and my best friend Lukini to work with me to guard you." She said looking at the other daemon who used to guard the gates with her.

      "R-really? Me? I-I'm not sure if I can do this. I mean Melville had assigned me to the gates for a reason, right? I don't think I am qualified to protect the king..." He said looking down.