Chapter 22

Hey look, it's only been a week this time :) This one's a little slow but I think it's cute...happy reading!

*Sang*

    Bright light from the window washes over my eyes, and I roll away from it, trying in vain to hold onto the best dream I've ever had. I had escaped from the monster, Henry had come for me and taken me somewhere safe, to the only other person I'd ever felt safe with in my life. They told me I was safe now, and that I'd never have to go back to her.

    Try as I might, the beautiful dream slips away as pain like I've never felt pours through every nerve ending of my body, from the follicles of my hair to the tips of my toes.

    "Little bird, don't try to move too fast, your morning dose hasn't had time to kick in."

    The gentle voice is so at odds from what I had expected that my eyes snap open and I twist my head to find its source, despite the fresh wave of pain that fires through me with the rapid movement. And there, with the sun at his back making him look like he's glowing, is Phil Roberts with that same happy smile on his face that I remembered when things got too bad at home.

    "It wasn't a dream," I rasp out quietly, so quietly, yet he hears me all the same. He always heard me.

    "No, Sang, it's not. Will you hold still now, little bird?"

    I start to nod before remembering that would be moving, and instead blush red when he laughs lightly. It's a lovely sound, so far apart from the cruel cackle that I normally wake up to that my eyes water slightly as the full reality of the situation hits me.

    As if he expected my tears, Phil reaches a hand over to take mine and gives it a light squeeze. "Everything's going to be alright now, little bird."

    Amazingly enough, I actually believe him. "I know." I feel my muscles start to relax as the pain medication reaches my bloodstream, dulling the hurts enough that I can summon a small smile for him.

    He smiles back before turning serious. "If you're ready, we have a few things to discuss."

    I search his eyes for clues, but when I come up empty I just nod.

    Steeling himself, tugging his ear in a familiar anxious gesture, Phil actually looks nervous and I start to worry. I'm just about to tell him whatever it is can wait when he starts to ramble.

"First of all, I just want you to know how sorry I am that I couldn't find you when your family left Chicago. I'm even more sorry that we didn't get to you sooner. I–we–the academy failed you, Sang, and I hope that we haven't lost you because of it. What your step mother put you through should never have happened, none of this should have, but she's been taken into custody and will never be able to touch you ever again.

As for your sister, she's been arrested for dealing drugs within your school and will be going away for a while. Your father we couldn't touch, but he seems to be gone as well and I should be sorry for that but I'm not."

Finally pausing for a breath, Phil glancing at me, taking in my gaping mouth and wide eyes as opportunity to continue.

"If you're willing, I would like to adopt you, as in you coming to lie with me and legally become my daughter. But only if that's what you want, if not we'll do whatever it takes to set you up with a place of your own and a job or schooling, whatever you wish. Or we could–"

"Phil–"

"–find you a team, or if that's not something you want we'll figure it out, but–"

"Phillip Leonard Roberts!"

That finally gets his attention, and his eyes snap to mine which are full of tears at the moment, and I'm still reeling from information overload.