Actually Time to Tell the Family

"I guess it's time." Fitz said as he and Dex walked into the beautiful room Juline and Kesler were staying in.  While he was at Dex's house for the last three hours they'd managed to finish all the panic rings.  They'd both also had dinner after having a terrifying run in with the triplets who wouldn't stop calling Fitz "Dex's pretty boooooy-friend."  And when Dex got mad at them for saying that they'd say that "there was a space between the 'boy' and 'friend' part."

Fitz accepted the hugs he received from both Juline and Kesler with open arms.  In less than a day he learned that the Dizznee family was very accepting, and very kind.  He even got a hug from the triplets as they sprinted into the room to say goodbye, which earned an eye roll from Dex.

"Feel free to keep those clothes by the way,"  Kesler half joked as Fitz and Dex walked out the door.  "Dex never wears them, which is fine because they make him look even skinnier than he already is."

"Hey!"  Dex said defensively.

Kesler snorted in response to his son.  "If you or your sister ever need somewhere to go, we're always open."  He'd looked Fitz in the eyes as he said this, and Fitz couldn't help but notice his eyes held a caring feature to them.

"Thank you, I'm sure we'll be back sometime soon."  Fitz said as Dex pushed him out the door, sticking his tongue out at his siblings.

"I might actually take your dad up on that offer by the way, these clothes are really comfortable, and I've never seen you wear them."

Dex's cheeks puffed out as a blush made it's way to his cheeks.  "They're just a little big on me.  At my age, my dad was a little bit taller than me - like, barely.  He bugs me about it all the time."

Fitz snorted.

"Hey, you're practically a replica of your father when it comes to looks, and I almost am too, meaning that once we're done growing, I'm probably going to be taller than you."

"You can't prove that."  Fitz said, but he was now worried that Dex would eventually outgrow him, and then the teasing would never stop.

Dex smiled in victory as they reached the leapmaster.  "Ready?"

"Honestly no, but,"  Fitz waited a moment before loudly saying, "Everglen!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they arrived at the gates, Fitz opened them himself.  "Think they're going to be upset that I went to your house instead of somewhere else?"

"More like they're going to be unhappy that you didn't just go straight home, but you had a pretty good reason for not doing just that.  You'll be fine."

Fitz sighed as they reached, he raised his hand to open them when suddenly his sister popped out of nowhere.

Needless to say, Fitz let out a startled yelp, while Dex let out more of a startled scream.

The two boy clutched onto each other in slight shock as Biana smirked.  

"You're evil."  Dex hissed.

Biana rolled her eyes.  "So what do you mean, 'are they going to be scared that I went to Dex's house?'"

Fitz was at a lack of words at the moment, but thankfully, it seemed that Dex had it covered.

"It's a loooooong story, so you're probably going to want to sit down - with your parents.  Would you please go get them?  Please, please, please?"

Biana looked suspicious, but agreed anyways.  "However," she announced as she began to walk back inside, "I want all the juicy details when your done telling me and our parents the basics.  Oh, do you want me to get Alvar?"

"Uh, sure."  Fitz replied after a moment.  Then he and Dex were left standing outside, the cold breeze hitting them as they shivered.  "Come on, let's go inside."

By the time Dex and Fitz were in the main room, everyone was already there, patiently waiting, and looking surprised as Dex came in.

"Hello, Dex."  Alden greeted kindly.

"Hello."  Dex said, trying to keep his best manors for Fitz.  That is also when it occurred to him that they didn't have a plan as to how this was going to be presented, but this time Fitz knew what to say.

"So, last night I clearly didn't go to Havenfeild."  Fitz started, earning some confused nods from his family.  "The reason for that is, well I," he cleared his throat, "I didn't know how to handle the situation I was thrown into.  Hence, I went to Dex's place, since I know the Dizznee's are very kind and generous people."  He was at a loss for words now, and looked at Dex for help.

"When Fitz got to my house, we went up to my room where he showed me some bruises he had on his torso."  Dex said slowly.  "Basically, those warlocks who've been breaking into the Lost Cities managed to get Fitz into an ally way and kicked him repeatedly."  He looked at the worried faces of the Vackers.  Alvar's most notably.  It wasn't exactly a secret that he envied his brother, but seeing him so concerned was almost a little bit eye opening. 

"We called Elwin and said that it was Dex who was hurt so that he wouldn't immediately tell you guys.  It's not that I don't trust you - I do - I just needed to get my thoughts together, and I didn't want you guys to see the bruises and over react.  Elwin only complied because I gave him permission to tell you all if I didn't today."

Alden and Della looked at each other for a moment, before Alden said something that shocked the two boys.  "Your mother and I already knew you got hurt.  When you hailed us there was a bruise on your cheek.  Elwin also did tell us at seven in the morning that you'd gotten into a little accident, and were staying at the Dizznee house for a little bit.  We just didn't know it was the warlocks."

Dex and Fitz looked at each other in shock.

'What do we do now?'

'No idea.  I wasn't expecting that.  How did you not take account of that bruise when you hailed them?'

'Because he's not as smart as he likes to think he is sometimes.' Alden interrupted their telepathic conversation.

Dex and Fitz snapped their heads at him in minor embarrassment from the intrusion.

"What?"  He asked.

"Why - just - argh."  Fitz groaned.

"Mind including us the next time you guys figure out our brother got hurt?"  Biana called out.

"Yeah." Alvar agreed, looking at his parents.

"Sorry,"  Della apologized, "we just didn't think he'd be home so soon.  We also didn't know if he'd want you two to know."

"Why wouldn't I?  And why didn't you think I'd be home soon?"  Fitz asked, puzzled.

"Because it's not exactly fun telling your loved ones you've been hurt, but we're glad you're home now."  Della said, getting up-along with the rest of the family-to give Fitz a hug.

Dex moved to the side, pretending to be very intrigued by their floors, before he felt two arms pull him into the hug. Those arms belonged to Fitz and, extremely surprisingly, Alvar.

Fitz let out a content sigh.  This wasn't as hard as he thought it would have been.

As Dex left the house, he walked with him back outside.

"What are we going to do about those warlocks?"

"Don't know, but let's not think about that now.  Right now, it's just you and me."  Dex laughed, "Sorry, that sounded weird."

Fitz snickered in response.

Just as Dex moved to the leap master, he turned back to Fitz and gave him a small peck on the cheek, before turning around and darting back, calling for his home.

Fitz put a hand on the place where Dex had kissed him and smiled to himself. 

Everything was okay.

...Just as long as Biana didn't harass him until he gave her every little detail about spending the night with his crush.