The Part I Completely Rewrote

A week later, Dex woke up to a loud thud in his bedroom, along with the faint smell of ash.

Shooting up immediately, he looked around the room.  His finger rested on his panic switch and he was ready to bolt to the triplet's room to get them to safety.

"Owww..." A familiar voice groaned.

"Fitz?"  Dex asked, slowly getting out of his bed.  "Where are you?"

"Over here,"  came the boy's voice.  He was standing in the far corner of Dex's room where a window was slightly open.

Getting out of bed, Dex walked over to him.  "Why are you here, Wonderboy?"

Fitz shrugged in response, but he was looking away with an embarrassed expression.

"Another nightmare?"

Fitz looked down and nodded.  He'd been having them a lot lately, and it wasn't uncommon for him to turn to Dex.

Putting an arm on his shoulder, the smaller boy lead him to the bed.  "I'm going to guess you don't want to talk about it."

Fitz, again, looked down and nodded.  This was also becoming a regular occurrence.

"Have you told anyone?"  Dex asked, grabbing his hands.

"I, uh, told Elwin.  He said it's completely normal from what happened, and then offered a sedative, but I really don't want to take one.  It feels like if I do that then while I'm out something's gonna happen and I won't be awake and..." He trailed off.  "It just feels like I shouldn't.  I don't know how to explain it."

"Just please make sure they don't get to bad."  Dex begged.  "If you get to a point where you're like Sophie and there are major bags under your eyes everyday, I'm not letting Biana leave your room."

"Um...."

"You heard me.  Not.  Leaving.  Your.  Room.  Under any circumstances, every night.  By the way, why the smell of ash?"  Dex asked, moving into a criss-cross position.

"Oh, it was the only way to escape my bodyguard."

"By the way,"  Lovise called from the hallway, "she's going to kill you for that.  Again."

Dex rolled his eyes.  "Don't listen to her.  I'm sure Grizel understands nightmares.  Isn't that right, Lovise?"

"Yeah, but I don't know how she'll think of you carrying ash and sneaking off in the middle of the night to see your boyfriend."

"We're not dating!"  Dex whisper-yelled back.  His cheeks were tinged with pink.

Fitz laughed and it took everything in his power to keep himself quiet.  He really didn't want to wake up the rest of the Dizznee's.  Their incident with Kesler a week ago had left some... different feelings between the two, but it was getting better.  They just weren't quite back to the way everything was yet, and Fitz didn't want to think what Kesler would think if they found out he'd been getting into his sons room at night.

"You gonna go to bed?"  Dex asked, moving the covers for Fitz.

"Is that okay?  I know I probably scared you again with the ash.  Sorry about that."

"It's fine, but I'm probably going to be awake for a while,"  Dex said as he got up and turned on a lamp by his desk.  "I'll just work on my technopathy.  You should sleep though."

Fitz nodded as he crawled under the covers and rolled over so that he was facing Dex.  He watched him work on some sort of gadget for as long as he could before finally falling into a deep sleep.

--------------------

Dex's eyes shot open as his face hit the desk and his hand fell over.

He sat back up and looked around, forgetting where he was for a moment, before turning to the side to look out the window.  From what he could tell, it was about three thirty.  And he had school tomorrow.  Great.

Dex sighed as he put away a few screws, stood up, and turned fully around.

He was met with the cutest sight in the world:  Fitz Vacker sleeping on his bed, drool coming out of the side of his mouth, and his arms strangling a pillow in a hug.

'So cute!'

The technopath quietly tiptoed over to the bed, wondering how he was going to get in.  

Or on for that matter.

Not that Fitz wasn't adorable, but he was pretty much spread eagle over the entire thing thanks to his dumb, long, seventeen year-old limbs.

Slowly, Dex picked up his arm and moved it to his body.  Once the boys arm had been moved, he curled himself into a ball as if he knew Dex needed to sleep as well.

Fitz's thumb was almost in his mouth and he was clutching the blanket like a life line when Dex crawled in, making sure not to move the bed too much.

He was nearly asleep when there was a shy knock at the door.

"Come in,"  Dex groaned.  He forced himself into a seating position.

"Hey."

"Oh, hey mom."  He said, rubbing his eyes.  "Fitz had a nightmare."

She gave a warm smile.  "I know, Lovise told me.  I was just making sure his parents wouldn't be upset tomorrow if we took him to Foxfire."

Dex gave her a confused look.  "He usually sneaks back home..."

"I know, there's just a little something I have planned."  There was some sort of glint in her eyes.

"I'm not sure how his parents will take it-"

"They'll be fine,"  and extremely tired voice interrupted.

"I thought you were asleep?"

"Hmph,"  was the only response from the tired boy before he shifted, wrapping his arms around Dex's middle and putting his head on the younger boys lap.

Juline snorted.  "I think he still is, but okay.  I'll notify his parents-or actually, I'll let Biana know tomorrow.  She'll probably have a better idea of how I could explain why he didn't just go to his family with the nightmare instead."

"That sounds like a good idea.  Good night, mom."

"Night Dex, night Fitz."

"Night,"  Fitz mumbled, his voice muffled from Dex's lap.

Rolling his eyes and shaking his head, Dex moved his body side ways so that the two boys were in more of a Ying-Yang position, and so that Fitz could keep his arms wrapped around him.

A few minuets later, Lovise and Juline were happy to hear the sound of snoring coming from two sleepy boys.