A Meeting in the Woods

Now, earlier, I'd written this chapter like a nascar driver.
It ended very, very quickly.  I was ready to be done with it.
So, if you're for some reason re-reading this and you're like "THE HECK?"
That is why
-------------------------

Once it was the weekend again, Fitz found himself walking down towards a grove of trees near the school.

The week waiting for his and Dex's 'meeting' was almost as excruciating as having to listen to Keefe talk about Tam's hair, which was still in dire need of fixing after a certain issue that left both him, and everyone else, with mental scars.  So far, what Fitz had learned was that Dex - who he would soon be meeting with - was creating a new silver dye for Tam's hair, making it so that he could dip it in, rather than drink something.  The elixir just needed some fixes to it.  Apparently, if he was lucky Dex would actually have grey hair, but Fitz doubted it.  That kid was incredibly smart when it came to alchemy.

And love.

Fitz tried not to just over just how excited he was to see Dex, or how nervous he was to see the the younger technopath would have to say.

He toyed with his white jerkin as he walked up the path, a sudden nervousness overwhelming him.  Why would he be so nervous?  It was just Dex, who probably was just going to ask him to help out at Slurps and Burps again.... But if that was the case, why make it so secretive?

Turning the corner wasn't easy considering how wobbly Fitz's legs had become, but he managed.  The cold breeze blew through his hair, messing it up even more than it already was from Fitz running his hands through it.

Then he saw Dex.  He was standing by a tree, twiddling his thumbs nervously.  Once he saw Fitz however, he stopped, and gave an adorable smile to show is equally adorable dimples.  Dex was in a dark blue tunic that was well fitting and had white sleeves, along with some brown pants.  Surprisingly, he had no shoes on, but he did have a black cape.

Fitz snorted.  "Do you need shoes?"

"No," Dex said, shaking his head.  "I just wanted to talk."

Fitz stopped walking once he was a foot away from the other.  "About your lack of shoes?"

"Stoooop.  Don't ruin the mood by being Keefe."  Something in that sentence must have given some sort of hint as to why Dex had Fitz meet there, because he was suddenly fighting off a blush.

"Okay, okay.  So what did you want? Also,"  Fitz said, pulling something out of his cape pocket, "I brought you something."

Dex raised a questing eyebrow as he slowly accepted the box.  "You don't normally get me presents."

"Well, tonight's a special night then."

Dex's blush spread as he unwrapped the gift.

Inside was rifflepuffs.  Rifflepuffs that looked gooey and sweet and maybe a little bit messed up, but in the best way possible.

Dex looked up and gave Fitz a smile, making the telepath's heart flutter a bit, before Dex pulled two out, giving them to Fitz, and popping one into his mouth.

Fitz was revealed to see Dex make a happy, pleased expression when he ate the sweets he'd given him.

"You missed a spot,"  Fitz laughed, wiping a tiny drop of caramel off of Dex's lips, which shouldn't have been as awkward as it was.

Dex turned pink again and ducked his head.  "Thank you."

"Of course."

They seemed to be at a lack of words after that, but the silence wasn't weird.  If anything, it was comforting.  It was nice to know they had someone to stand by. To have someone they could talk about anything with, even though they didn't, because they did not need to.

Once the two were done eating, Dex reached for Fitz's hand.  "Come on."

Fitz was grateful for the darkness that hid his blush as Dex lead him through a grove of trees and into a small field that was beautifully lit up with moonlight.  In the middle of the meadow was a small blanket that was held down via rocks on the four corners.

Dex lead him over to the so-called blanket and sat them down.  Fitz gulped, knowing something was coming.

"This is probably really weird."  He laughed.

Fitz didn't deny him.

"Are you wondering why I brought you here, Wonderboy?"

Of course, he was going to make him admit it.  "A little."

Dex smiled.  "Well, I have one question, and one piece of news.  What do you want first?"

Fitz considered his options before choosing.  "Give me the news first."

Dex shifted on the blanket a little bit.  "That warlock that the Black Swan caught, well, they found out why the warlocks were doing everything and where they resign.  Turns out, it was a rebel society of warlocks who somehow found out about the dead-treaty and then made their way into the Lost Cities.  They told the warlock queen, and she's actually incredibly sorry.  She also offered to have you come over for a feast in apology."

Fitz didn't know what to say, so he simply went with an, "Oh."

"I know, right?  I was completely shocked when my mom told me that this morning.  She wanted to tell you too, but..."  He looked uncertain for a moment, until he regained himself.  "I've been planning to ask you something for a while, so we figured it'd be better to hit you with both things at once."

"So, what's this other thing you have to ask me?"

Dex's periwinkle eyes met Fitz's, and it was as if the world stopped as Dex said a few words.

"Well, I really like you so... Will you go out with me, Fitz Vacker?"

Fitz went quiet.  His hands turned clammy and his mouth dry, but he quickly realized he needed to speak.  "Y-yes.  Yes!"  He was a smiling mess of joy now.

Dex gave his own ginormous grin back before leaning in, and crushing Fitz in a hug.

"Wait," Fitz laughed, pulling away so that he could look into his new boyfriend's eyes.  "Did Biana know about this?  Did Keefe?"

Dex shrugged, blushing and grinning.  "They were in on the plan, I guess you could say.  I had to get Keefe to make you come here, and Biana told me that I couldn't date you until you'd had the talk, so I told her I was going to ask you to go out with me tonight."

Fitz's smile widened.  He shook his head before pulling the smaller boy back into the hug.  "I forgot Bi and I had made that dumb deal.  So, where you wanna take me?  Or am I taking you?"

Dex laughed against his chest.  "Are you free to go to the Ornament Festival on Sunday?"

"Yeah,"  Fitz sighed dreamily, kissing Dex on the top of his head, before lifting his shoe-less boyfriend off the ground.  "I think you deserve to be carried home for your bravery."

----------------------

For now, that concludes the story!
Thank you so much for reading.