1%

The sound of a small wind rushing through the air filled the area, while a brook babbled down the hillside, without a care in the world. The birds chirped happily and flew from branch to branch as they fluttered their wings in the light. The soft grass swayed in the breeze and the flowers stretched towards the sun. This place seemed to be oblivious to the events that occurred the previous night.

A shout was heard in the distance then a cry before all was still again, even the birds stopped. A man slowly opened his eyes and stared up at the trees as he listened to the sounds around him. He slowly sat up and looked around as he stayed in his hiding place.

He waited for a long time before he slowly rose and winced in pain. He looked at his side and stared at the wound he bandaged the previous night. He grunted a little and silently hoped he didn't die of an infection. He slowly made his way down the hill as he looked around and scanned the area. He gripped his short sword and crouched down as he heard talking nearby.

The man listen as two others talked about hunting some of the people down. He watched and waited for them to pass by, normally he would attack but he didn't dare with his wound. He listened to their voices fade away and remained still for a while longer.

He got up and went in the opposite direction to avoid them and get to what he hoped was a safe place. As the man continued his journey, he stopped again when he heard someone struggling to breath. He crouched down again and waited before deciding it was safe.

He moved closer to see a man with a nasty stab wound in his side and a gash across his face. He looked at the man and his breathing quickened as he started to panic before the man knelt by him.

"Easy." He muttered as he looked him over and then glanced around again. He knew they had to kill each other, but he couldn't stand to see them suffering. He felt it was merciful to kill them instantly.

"Please... end... my... pain..." the injured man begged as he gripped his arm and coughed painfully.

The man watched him then nodded a little before grabbing his dagger and preparing to end his life out of mercy. He stabbed him quickly so he didn't suffer any longer and looked away in shame. He didn't want to kill. There had to be a better way to live than this. He looked to the sky as he glared darkly, knowing they could seen him. He knew the rules and knew what had to be done, but this was barbaric and cruel.

He moved on and went to a stream then cleaned off his hands to get rid of the blood. He heard movement behind him and narrowed his eyes, knowing someone was going to try and steal from him. He gripped his sword then spun around and held the point a mere centimeters from the person.

He blinked in surprise as he saw the smallest person that had come to this place. A terrified boy.

Just a child.

He saw the boy wasn't a threat and slowly lowered the blade as he looked around.

"Are you hungry?" he asked as he kept his weapon out in case he tried anything to hurt him.

The boy nodded and fixed his glasses as his stomach growled angrily and he clutched it then glanced around in fear. Worried someone would hear and come for him.

"Y-y-y-yes sir..." he rasped and looked to the stream then jumped as he heard someone yell in the distance. He glanced at the man again and stepped back.

"I won't hurt you." He promised and crouched down again so he wasn't as intimidating to the small child. He carefully reached in his bag and held out some food for the boy to eat.

"There is clean water in a spring just up that way." he said gently and pointed in the direction.

"I'm not stupid. You're just going to kill me as soon as he leave or take the food." He whispered quietly and the man shook his head. He set the food back in his pack then set the bag on the ground.

"There's water in here as well. The safest place I have found is up on the hill in a small cave that is difficult to reach." He whispered then pointed to the hill on the other side of the river that seemed to be more like an island.

"I can take you there." he said and put his sword away. The boy hesitated then looked to where someone else cried out in pain before nodding.

The man helped the boy get the bag of supplies on, then gave him a piggyback ride. They stayed far away from the others and traveled to the island, arriving there towards nightfall. He climbed the cliff as the boy looked around then the man helped him hide in the cave.

"It opens up in the back and goes to the top of the hill, but stay out of sight." He whispered as he watched him. The boy nodded quickly and took the backpack off then hugged it close to silently indicate he would stay. "I'll be back later after I find more supplies." he said and the boy nodded again before the man left.

He wandered the woods and crouched down when people got too close or when he heard fighting around him. He narrowed his eyes and stole from the man who seemed to do the most killing. He waited for a while then went back to the cave where he left the boy, but he wasn't there.

His eyes widened in surprise and he followed the cave until he got to the top but didn't find him. He was afraid for the child and continued to search then saw him laying in the grass a few feet away. He sighed in relief and carefully walked over then crouched down.

"There you are. I was worried you-" He stopped suddenly as he stared at the boy wide dead eyes then saw the berries in his hand. "No... no..." he whispered as he sat back then hung his head.

"I didn't tell you about them..." he whispered and felt he had unintentionally killed the boy who trusted him.

He sat there for a while then went back to the cave and hugged his knees to his chest. He didn't notice when the night fell. He heard six cannons go off and looked to the sky as he saw who had passed. He sighed sadly and buried his face as he gripped his hair. He hated this place.

The next morning, he left his hideaway and cautiously explored the area as he gathered wood and other things then put them in his bag. He stopped as he listened and crouched down again as he heard fighting. He didn't want to fight anymore, even if some took joy in it.

What kind of twisted place sent children to fight against adults to the death? He wondered if the boy was the only child here.

The man waited for a few minutes then slowly moved towards a field that led to the middle. He stared for a moment then hesitantly made his way to the middle to get more food. It was too quiet.

He cried out suddenly as someone shot him in the leg and he went down. He grunted and looked around frantically then heard someone yelling as they ran towards him with their weapon.

He grabbed his sword and looked up as he tried to defend himself but was unsuccessful and the man stabbed him through. He grunted in pain before everything went black.

That night a few cannons went off and listed all the fallen of the day. His victor smiled darkly as he read the name in the sky and stared at his picture.

Bumblebee had fallen.

Tick tock... tick tock... tick tock... tic-