2)The trip to beach

" Percy!", Ginny shook my shoulder , her eyes raised with concern, her voice merely in a whisper. I was just going to tell her about what had happened in school when the door suddenly creaked open......

"Percy?" I heard my mom's voice.

She opened the bedroom door, and my fears melted.

My mother can make me feel good just by walking into the room. Her eyes sparkle and change color in the light. Her smile is as warm as a quilt. She's got a few gray streaks mixed in with her long brown hair, but I never think of her as old. When she looks at me, it's like she's seeing all the good things about me, none of the bad. I've never heard her raise her voice or say an unkind word to anyone, not even me or Gabe.

"Oh, Percy." She hugged me tight. "I can't believe it. You've grown since Christmas!"

"Oh that's what I was telling Percy," Ginny cut her in. "Now that finally he is as tall as me, I have lost any scope of teasing him anymore , though I can't say that exactly...." "Oh Shut Up Ginny", I exclaimed. Mom laughed. "Now now ", mom said, "don't you tease Percy now , okay? He has come home after such a long time."

We sat altogether on the edge of the bed. While I attacked the blueberry sour strings, she ran her hand through my hair and demanded to know everything I hadn't put in my letters.

"Did something scare you?". "No, Mom."

I felt bad lying. However telling about The museum incident when I had accidently vapourised my pre-algebra maths teacher with a pen turning into a sword and the entire school denying the fact that 'Mrs Doods' had ever existed....would some pretty weird and stupid.

She pursed her lips. She knew I was holding back, but she didn't push me.

"We have a surprise for you," Ginny said. "We're going to the beach." mom said.

My eyes widened. "Montauk?"

"Three nights-same cabin."

"When?"

She smiled. "As soon as I get changed."

I couldn't believe it. We and our mom hadn't been to Montauk the last two summers, because Gabe said there wasn't enough money. There were a lot of childhood memories linked with it. When we siblings were small, we used to play on the sand making big sand castle and playing with who broke whose castle first. However I never realised how we used to fill the castle with water when we were restricted to go near the waves ...

"You won't take my car anywhere but there and back."

"We'll be very careful."

Gabe scratched his double chin. "Maybe if you hurry with that seven-layer dip ... And maybe if the kid apologizes for interrupting my poker game."

"I'm sorry," I muttered sarcastically. "I'm really sorry I interrupted your incredibly important poker game. Please go back to it right now."

Gabe's eyes narrowed. His tiny brain was probably trying to detect sarcasm in my statement.

"Yeah, whatever," he decided.

He went back to his game.

"Thank you, Percy," my mom said. "Once we get to Montauk, we'll talk more about... whatever you've forgotten to tell me, okay?"

For a moment, I thought I saw anxiety in her eyes-the same fear I'd seen in Grover during the bus ride-as if my mom too felt an odd chill in the air.

But then her smile returned, and I figured I must have been mistaken. She ruffled my hair and went to make Gabe his seven-layer dip.

One hour later, we got our things packed and sat in car ."Not a scratch on this car, brain boy," he warned me as I loaded the last bag. "Not one little scratch."

Like I'd be the one driving. I was twelve. But that didn't matter to Gabe. If a seagull so much as pooped on his paint job, he'd find a way to blame me.

As Gabe reached the doorway, I made the hand gesture I'd seen Grover make on the bus, a sort of warding-off-evil gesture, a clawed hand over my heart, then a shoving movement toward Gabe. The screen door slammed shut so hard it whacked him in the butt and sent him flying up the staircase as if he'd been shot from a cannon. Maybe it was just the wind, or some freak accident with the hinges, but I didn't stay long enough to find out.

Ginny giggled. "How did you do that? " "Tell you later I said."

We'd been going there since I was a baby. My mom had been going even longer. She never exactly said, but I knew why the beach was special to her. It was the place where she'd met my dad.

As we got closer to Montauk, she seemed to grow younger, years of worry and work disappearing from her face. Her eyes turned the color of the sea.