5) Mom simply Vanishes

Percy's POV

"PERCY! GINNY", "Ginny , MOM!!!", "Percy !" ".....Mom?" "Grover ....Hey GROVER!!!!!!" - We checked out to each other. "Oww!", I peeled my forehead from the driver's seat. "Mom I am okay...." and so were the two. Ginny was rubbing her nose which might pretty much be hurting. But Grover....his left side of face was bleeding......"Food", I sighed in relief, there was hope.

"Go RUN you two. There is a camp ahead. See? That tree is the property line--and do not stop before you reach there or turn behind--shout for help once you reach there!!!!!!!." "But mom you are coming!." "Don't worry about me, besides it doesn't want us." "How to get out? The doors are jammed shut." We were trapped from inside. "Hey the window! Let's get out to the window."

We jumped out of Mom' s window. "Mom you have to come with us! " "Mom help me carry Grover." We drapped Grover's arms around our shoulders and together we carried Grover, Ginny right behind us. "Ginny do you see the pine tree? Go ahead and shout for help." Ginny moved ahead while we went stumbling uphill through wet waist-high grass.

I looked back. In a flash of lightning, I saw a figure lumbering toward us on the shoulder of the road. The sight of it made my skin crawl. It was a dark silhouette of a huge guy, like a football player. He seemed to be holding a blanket over his head. His top half was bulky and fuzzy. His upraised hands made it look like he had horns.

His neck was a mass of muscle and fur leading up to his enormous head, which had a snout as long as my arm, snotty nostrils with a gleaming brass ring, cruel black eyes, and horns-enormous black-and-white horns with points you just couldn't get from an electric sharpener.

I recognized the monster, all right. He had been in one of the first stories Mr. Brunner told us. But he couldn't be real.

I blinked the rain out of my eyes. "That's Min-"
"Don't say the name. Names have power."

"Percy," my mom said. "When he sees us, he'll charge. Wait until the last second, then jump out of the way- directly sideways. He can't change directions very well once he's charging. Do you understand?"

" We have to split NOW! " " But..." "That's the only way! " Though exhausted, mom shouldered Grover while I ran in Ginny's direction. She wasn't much far ahead. I grasped her hand and we ran. "Why didn't you move ahead? ", I asked her angrily. I was mad-mad at everyone- Ginny, mom, Grover-the goat boy and finally at that Min-- monster I should say. She was still moving slowly as if some invisible force was pulling her in some other direction. "What is it ?", I asked her. "The wind ...." I had no time to ask what she was trying to say.

We sprinted to the left, turned, and saw the creature bearing down on us, lowering his head and charging , those razor-sharp horns aimed straight at my chest.

The fear in my stomach made me want to bolt, but that wouldn't work. I could never outrun this thing. So I held my ground, and at the last moment, I jumped to the side. I pulled my sister along with me before it could tear her apart.

The bull-man stormed past like a freight train, then bellowed with frustration and turned, but not toward us this time, toward my mother, who was setting Grover down in the grass. She backed backwards down the slope leading the monster away from Grover.

Run, Percy!" she told me. "I can't go any farther. Run!"

But I just stood there, frozen in fear, as the monster charged her. She tried to sidestep, as she'd told me to do, but the monster had learned his lesson. His hand shot out and grabbed her by the neck as she tried to get away. He lifted her as she struggled, kicking and pummeling the air.
Mom!"

She caught my eyes, managed to choke out one last word: "Go!"

Then, with an angry roar, the monster closed his fists around my mother's neck, and she dissolved before my eyes, melting into light, a shimmering golden form, as if she were a holographic projection. A blinding flash, and she was simply ... gone.