Three Words

Ever since the raven-haired boy came back to the village, he has been on her side almost all the time. At times there were a few exchange of conversations, but most of the time they simply lingered in a comforting silence side by side as the Uchiha survivor walked the pink-haired maiden home.

It kind of became a usual thing, Sasuke would be in front of Sakura's house on mornings to walk her to the clinic she and Ino have opened before he would go on his own to accomplish whatever mission the Sixth Hokage would entrust to him for the day. And then by the end of the day, he'd be waiting for her outside the clinic to walk with her until she's safely inside her apartment.

She never bothered to ask why he does this and why he's always around, because it was only lately that she gets to see that serene look on the former rogue ninja's face.

And she likes that, for she has always desired to see him that happy.

"Sakura."

"Hmm?" They were walking towards her house one night when Sasuke halted his steps.

"I..." Love you. "Uh. Never mind."

She gave him a puzzled look but he just looked away and suddenly resumed walking, this time, a bit ahead of her.

She just shrugged it off, respecting it whenever he needed his space or time of silence. He's Sasuke Uchiha anyway. And that's nothing unusual for him to be out of words.

"Goodnight, Sasuke-kun." She smiled and turned to look at him after unlocking her apartment's door.

And with a simple nod, he left and headed to his own place. Maybe next time, he thought, a bit disappointed to himself that for once in his life, he was quite afraid.

It's been three months since he came back and made it his personal commitment to make sure she's always safe. Since then, he desired to maximize getting to spend time with her, yet he couldn't bring himself to say three simple words that he had realized were the mere explanation as to why his heart longed for something missing when he was on his journey of redemption.

"What in the world, Sasuke-kun?" Sakura laughed one afternoon they were both released early from their usual workloads.

He arched an eyebrow at her while trying his best to stifle a laugh as well. He didn't find what he did funny, it was kind of just a normal Uchiha Sasuke thing, but it was her musical laugh that was too contagious that caused him to almost release his own cackle.

"You left Naruto sleeping with his mouth open in the Forest of Death!" She continued to laugh, returning his phone that contained the photo the Uchiha jonin (yes, finally) had taken just a few minutes ago.

He rolled his eyes and stared at her clutching her stomach, with the photo probably still etched in her mind. "It wasn't my fault he slept while he's on a mission that I ended up doing the task alone. Tch. That dobe."

"You won't tell this to Kakashi-sensei, will you?" She asked, amused with his playful revenge. At least, it wasn't the kind of revenge that urges him to make some mad declaration about destroying Konoha anymore.

He shrugged. "Oh, yeah? He may or may not have received a copy of it already."

And then she cackled again. A grin appeared on Sasuke's lips as he watched her lean at him for support. Everything seems light with her around, that's something he wouldn't and couldn't deny.

"Sakura?"

"Yup?" She responded when her cackle died down.

"Uhm, I..." Love you. "...want to invite you in my apartment for dinner, if you don't mind." His lips curled up into a small smile.