Cave Encounter

It was one of those days wherein he wanted to spend the night somewhere else by himself.

Sure, it was beneficial for him that he got to recruit men and a woman to join him in fulfilling what had been his lifelong mission ever since that night he saw his parents' lifeless bodies, but there were days that he just needed solace with just himself. Thankfully, Suigetsu and Jugo would understand it whenever he'd decide to be solitary for a night or two for whatever the team's grind would be was his call anyway. But Karin? She was, in many ways, one of the reasons he wanted all the more to be left alone most of the time.

Sasuke left the other three members of Team Hebi to fend for themselves while he sought for a place to rest a few kilometers away from them. Frustration was getting the best of him for they still couldn't find any trace as to where Itachi could be. It wasn't as if he's losing time. Heck, he could search for him all his life just so he could finally finish him off. However, it already got to a point wherein he got sick of merely going nowhere. Plus, there's nothing really amusing with being around Suigetsu, Jugo, and Karin if they're not able to progress in accomplishing their task.

Moments later, he found a cave past the trees he had been leaping from. He was sure that they passed by this place earlier but the cave wasn't too noticeable, which was what he wanted since he wasn't in the mood to be involved with any unnecessary combats for the night nor to be found by the other three.

With his Sharingan, he ventured through the dark cavern to seek a space to settle in, only to be taken aback when he realized that a campfire was set at the farthest part of the cave and that he wasn't alone.

He tensed at the sight of a pink-haired woman sitting by the fire with her back on him. For a moment, he thought of simply vacating the place so he wouldn't make himself noticed, but something inside him made him want to stay, even though he was aware that he might end up regretting that he had let himself be distracted.

There was only one pink-haired woman that he knew, and the white circle outline on her back validated his first thought. "Sakura."

The woman stood up in shock, her body rigid as she took in the voice that was all too familiar for her. She thought for a fraction of a second that maybe she was just hallucinating because of how exhausted she was after the long day. Besides, it wasn't new for her to be dreaming about him. But the moment she turned to where the voice came from, her memory was right after all. "Sasuke...kun."

Sakura's heart started racing at the fact that he's was indeed in front of her – the one whom her heart beats for since they were younger, yet chose to leave her behind; the one Naruto and the others were searching for through a retrieval mission, yet they never found.

His hair was the same but a little longer. And his outfit was far from anything anyone in the Leaf would wear. The genin Sasuke that she knew was nowhere in sight and the man in front of her seemed to have drastically changed from the inside out for he looked more mature than the last time she saw him.

His well-toned physique and the sword on the side of his waist gave her the idea that he has gotten a lot stronger than before too. It was something he has always wanted to happen so she was glad that he got to achieve it. And because of that, she somehow hoped that this time, he could finally return to the Leaf with her.

Sasuke observed her with austereness. He found it odd how something about her screamed progress and strength, contrary to the fragility of the annoying girl that used to follow him around. With dull eyes and clenched jaw, he asked, "Why are you here?"

"I...I was out for a solo mission."

"Solo mission?" He arched an eyebrow at her. Part of him wanted to scoff skeptically, yet another part wanted to smirk with pride at the fact that she was given a mission without anyone having to protect her – a proof that she must've progressed well with her life while he was away. Despite him being a tad bit pleased on the inside, he reminded himself that he couldn't be complacent around someone whom he knew could stand on his way. Even if it's her.