Karin (Part 6)

"Guess what? We're getting much progress with the effectivity rate of the new samples!"

The apparent glee on Shizune's expression as she made her way inside the head medic's office made Sakura sigh in relief. That kind of exhale which encompasses the realization that none of your labor was in vain.

A clipboard was handed to her while Shizune sat in front of her desk. "I wouldn't be surprised if this is already available for delivery to Suna tomorrow after the final lab test. As always, great job, Sakura!"

To say that she was grateful for the impending finale of their painstaking weeks of research and development was an understatement. If she wasn't too tired due to her lack of sleep recently, Sakura would've jumped or run around the hospital, but she could only smile at her colleague with a small blush adorning her cheeks for now.

She studied the charts given to her as she leaned back on her office chair. "That's...wow, that's amazing. Thanks. I couldn't have done it without you, though. Just thinking about it, this was the most complicated concoction that we've put together so far, huh?"

"Well, it's for the most difficult case ever since the war. I'm actually surprised you're still able to manage your time without becoming all over the place."

"I'm surprised too!" She chuckled. "But really, it's a great help that Karin's here. Makes the load a lot easier. I couldn't focus on doing the daily rounds anymore so that's where she takes over."

Shizune nodded in agreement. "I can see how she seems to be enjoying the job. Did you know that her patients are asking for her sometimes even after her rounds? To think that she started with lots of complaints around here, you've assisted her well in unleashing her potential."

Her lips twisted to a smile. Ever since she asked Karin to help out in the hospital, she didn't have any doubts about her skill, albeit having a difficulty in interacting well (and nicely) with people. "I didn't expect to have that much of an impact to her, really. I guess it just gives me joy being able to do anything to help her and her family, you know?" Her voice softened as she continued, "Especially because...she was there for Sasuke-kun when I couldn't be there for him."

She sank further on her seat, the charts now forgotten as she recalled those years ago wherein Sasuke had decided to sever bonds with them. There was still a tinge of pang in her chest just remembering how she couldn't do anything for him back then, no matter how much she was willing to throw everything away to be with the man she loved.

Thinking about it now, she was grateful that Sasuke didn't bring her with him when she tearfully pleaded for him to do so. It was a stupid idea, to begin with. For if he allowed her to join him on his defection, she wouldn't be the woman that she is now – stronger, wiser, more loving, and more forgiving – because and for Sasuke.

All the while, however, she had always hoped that there were others who were looking after him – others who could still build some sort of a bond with him despite his reticence to it; others who could show him love in their own ways. Despite being wary at first, she was glad when she learned that those others were Suigetsu, Karin, and Jugo.

And even though she almost had a heart failure figuratively when a very pregnant Karin came back to Konoha with Sasuke, Sakura was extremely relieved to know that Sasuke found a reliable comrade in her and the rest of Taka.

Because of this, she became very fond of Karin and Suigetsu (after confirming that there was nothing going on between Sasuke and Karin, of course). So fond to the point that she would do anything that she could for their little family.

She smiled to herself, feeling a sense of accomplishment as she realized the progress in Suika's health in the past three months.

"So, it's still Sasuke, huh?" There was a smirk in Shizune's face the whole time Sakura was lost in her thoughts while gazing at the ceiling. "How's everything about you and your boyfriend anyway?"