Karin (Part 3)

Sakura gaped at the sight as the baby emitted her first whine. Even after staring at her intently, the fact remained that the baby had no resemblance at all with the only Uchiha she knows. She didn't know what to think. She was bewildered. But the cheery cry of Karin made her whip her head and shift her focus. Blinking twice, she handed the baby to the new mother and simply stood there, dumbfounded at the sudden revelation.

"Oh, gosh. Look at you, sweetheart. You are so cute!" Karin gushed, tears still flowing from her eyes. "You better be back soon, Shark-face," she then murmured to herself. "I made it. Suika and I made it. Please be back soon."

And that's when Sakura was able to put two and two together. As much as it didn't make sense to her while she was staring at the mother and child, she was well aware of the flood of relief that slowly entered her entire system. For after a month of internal turmoil, maybe, just maybe, her heart wasn't meant to be broken after all.

Lightheaded as she was, she still managed to finish all of her tasks in the operating room and made her exit after Karin mouthed a heartfelt "thank you" to her.

She shut the door and leaned on it for a few moments, heaving a sigh as she closed her eyes with her head down. It's been a pretty long day. Karin's delivery was one of those that drained most of Sakura's usual chakra, but at the end of the day, all that mattered was the fact that her patient and her baby survived.

It didn't take long until she realized that Sasuke was still there, leaning on the wall right across her with a blank expression on his face. She didn't know what to tell him. But the revelation she received earlier crossed her mind which caused her to smile a bit. It was the first time that she felt completely at ease about having a wrong presumption on something.

She smoothed her now bloody lab coat and glanced up at him. "They're doing fine," she assured the redhead's former leader. "Karin's already resting and the baby's under the care of our nurses."

She still wasn't sure about how and why Sasuke was tied into the situation but she knew he still needed to be aware. After all, Karin had been with him since the time he returned.

He gave her a nod. "Good. I'm sure you've done a great job."

"Thanks." She bit her lip. Why was she suddenly feeling nervous under his intent stare? She cleared her throat, thinking of ways to continue the conversation since she was still too tired to move and it would be rather awkward being around him in silence after everything that had happened recently. "So...Suigetsu, huh?"

Sasuke raised an eyebrow at her. Until it dawned on him that this pink-haired doctor had just discovered a certain information today. Her attitude before the delivery began now made perfect sense to him. He tilted his head to one side. If he still had two arms now, he would've surely crossed them above his chest. "You thought the baby's mine."

Sakura simply shrugged. "No one told me." To think that she is the most brainy of them all in Team 7, she actually had every reason to be embarrassed, but she was too exhausted to even mind.

"And you didn't ask."

Sakura looked down and fiddled on the hem of her coat. If she would be honest, although it could've saved her from the pit of distress, asking anyone about Sasuke and Karin was something she didn't want to risk knowing that it would hurt her all the more if she ever confirmed that something was going on between them. "I thought it has nothing to do with me. Anything about you, Sasuke-kun, is none of my business, right?"

Sasuke sighed. He didn't know if he would be irked or amused. "So that's why you've been avoiding me."

"W-what do—? Avoidi—? I haven't been avoiding you!"