8: What Big Ears You Have

"Hey Grey," the little girl spoke, twisting and turning a long piece of grass between her slender fingers

"Yes, Little Flower?"

She couldn't help but smile at the name her friend has granted her since the first day she heard his voice through the trees in her Granny's forest. Over the years, she has never once been tired of his company. Though she never saw him, she always knew he was there.

The little girl stood up, brushed the pollen off her dress, and blew out a determined breath before she chickened out of what she has always wanted to do.

"Woah, there," the voice warned, his words weary as the girl lifted her chin defiantly. "Don't look at me like that, Red. Your grandmother is right. These woods are no place for a child."

"I am not a child!" the girl shouted, making a few birds lift in flight. She instantly felt bad because she loved the sound the black and yellow bird sang and was scared they wouldn't come back now. "I get that enough from my mother, I don't need that from you."

"I know. I'm sorry. Really, I am. I just--" The deep voice grumbled something to himself that made her giggle into her hand.

"You sure have a foul mouth, you know that?"

The voice hissed and the sound of him shuffling away from his tree became apparent and the little girl began to panic. Why was he leaving her? Why do people always leave her when she most wanted them?

"Grey, where are you going? What's wrong?" Her feet inched further over the forest line.

"I scraped my foot," he answered honestly. "I think it's a thorn."

She ignored that her friend got hurt from trying to run away from her and allowed her caring nature to take over. She didn't think twice in parting the branches.

Her eyes searched the wooded area for a boy with a thorn stuck in his foot but she saw nothing but miles of trees and gathering a rocks and dirt.

"Grey! Where are you?"

She was greeted with silence. Instant sadness overtook her. She just wanted to help heal her friend.

A whimper sounded to her left and her red curls whipped her face as she followed the wounded cry. At the bottom of a large pine tree lay a wolf, his silver coat shining like the moon in the sunlight.

She gasped, unable to control her shock. The wolf's light yellow eyes peered into hers like it was trying to communicate with her. With little fear, the girl slowly walked closer to the wounded animal.

This felt like a dream to her. A glorious, spectacular dream, where she was the huntress and this was her guardian. What a beautiful creature the wolf was.

"Are you hurt?" She asked the animal, bending down to ground floor to search for a wound.

The wolf ceased its whimpering and turned stone quiet. Not even the wind rustled his sleek coat. The little girl shuffled closer.