19: The Taming

When I woke the next morning the first thing I saw was a slender red flower resting upon the book I started reading to Grey last night

When I woke the next morning the first thing I saw was a slender red flower resting upon the book I started reading to Grey last night. I reached over and grabbed it, bringing it to my nose. The sweet aroma woke my senses and left me smiling.

Reality didn't kick in until I went to sit up and couldn't. A heavy weight gripped around my ribcage. As I followed this wander, a strong arm dusted in dark hair snaked like a boa around me, caging me to a broad chest.

I stopped breathing, now too afraid of disrupting the body the arm was attached to. Why wasn't Grey on his normal spot on the floor? Either way, he had some explaining to do on the fact he was not there. Maybe he was lighter than he looked in his sleep and I could simply lift his arm...

But I didn't have time to think about my next move because Grey shifted beside me. I went even more still if that was humanly possible. My lungs began to burn from holding my breath. I felt him inhale and bury his nose in my neck . I closed my eyes to pretend to still be asleep though I was now very much awake.

I felt him stiffen behind me, now holding his breath as well, as if he didn't realize he was doing something as strange as smelling my skin or hair let alone holding me to him like a child's teddy bear. Like an uncoiling snake, his arm was gone around my waist and his warmth disappeared with him.

I continued to pretend I was sleeping but my body had gone into hyper mode and I wasn't sure if I wanted to melt into the bed or cry from the confusion of wishing Grey's warmth still cocooned me.

"I know you are awake. I can hear the change in your breathing." I could tell he was speaking with his back to me. The bed shook, indicating that he was getting off the surprisingly comfy mattress and while he stood up, I rolled onto my back, bringing the fur comforter higher up my chest.

We both said nothing as he shuffled to the counter and picked up a chunk of bread that he ripped into with this teeth.

I knew I had to say something. Anything. But instead, I gnawed on my bottom lip like Grey did the piece of bread, not knowing what to say exactly. I dug into my memory to make sense of how Grey got into the bed without me knowing. My body practically buzzed whenever he was around.

He turned his back to me and peered out the pocket sized window above the countertop.

"What time did you get in last night?" I asked, voice cracking with sleep and uncertainty.

"That is none of your concern."

I was taken back by his harsh tone. I jolted against the headboard when he threw the remains of the bread he was eating onto the counter, toppling over a bowl of apples I had picked the other day. They rolled across the floor towards my reading nook.

Both of our eyes followed the ripe, red, fruit and at the exact same moment, his met mine and last night hit me as if the apples pelted me instead.