13: Boy, Does the Truth Bite

The sun beat heavily on the back of the red haired girl's neck as she rushed down the hill to where the forest rested like stoic statues waiting to claim her

The sun beat heavily on the back of the red haired girl's neck as she rushed down the hill to where the forest rested like stoic statues waiting to claim her. With summer winding to an end, the need to be as close to her furry friend as possible clawed at her chest.

He was waiting for her behind the trees. The only sign that he was there was the silver shine of the tip of his paw as he tapped it impatiently for her to reach him.

She was wearing a floral skirt that danced with the wind around her knees as she flew down the hill in his direction. Her long, red, hair flowed like water down her back, her eyes two lily pads that swirled like whirlpools the closer she got. He could catch the scent of her strawberry shampoo as the wind picked up the copper ends. He nearly stepped further out into the open just to be closer to her faster.

"I'm here!" She loudly proclaimed as she parted the branches. He stepped back to give her space. "Sorry I am late. I had to nearly sneak out to avoid the Andrews' who stopped by to look at one of Gran's horses. Mr. Andrews really gives me the willies."

When she fully emerged through the evergreens, her cheeks were flushed with warmth and excitement of life. He wanted to reach out and feel the warmth her human flesh provided. Never has he felt anything so warm. She reminded him of the sun.

"What do we have planned for the day?" She asked, instantly reaching forward to run her fingers through the nap of his fur. His eyes closed and he nuzzled further into her touch. Never will he get over the simple pleasure of touch. "Could we go for another run?"

"Yes, if that is what you wish to do." He loved to hear her laughter when he ran inhumanely fast through the trees. His favorite is the aftermath of finding a flowered field to rest in where she played with his hair and hummed little songs to him simply because she knew he enjoyed the windchimming sound of her voice.

"We don't always have to do what I want to do, you know. What is it that you enjoy?"

"I enjoy running, just the same as you," he answered. Mostly I enjoy just being with you.

The girl smiled, pleased to have a friend as genuine as Grey. She wasted no time climbing onto his broad back. With a swift spare of the moment decision, she leaned forward and placed a kiss between his ears.

The wolf froze but his eyes closed momentarily to absorb the feeling.

"Run, Grey. Let's run away from here." Her words were haunting yet innocent. He knew this. But her words ate at him like a growing caterpillar to a leaf. They ate a hole through his heart.

The faster the wolf ran, the louder her laughter grew. He was showing off, this he knew, but the harder his muscled strained, the happier she became.

The trees blurred past her as she untucked her face from the back of Grey's neck. She always felt like the motion would make her sick at first because her friend ran so fast. But once she got used to the speed, she would allow herself to revel in the moment.