20. Father Christmas

"Grey," I called throughout the den

"Grey," I called throughout the den. "Grey!" I shouted again when there was no answer.

He peeked his head through the den door, his hair sopping wet and shaggy around his face.

"Have you seen my cloak?"

He ran a hand through his black hair. "Have you checked the kitchen bench?"

"Why would it be there?" I asked with amusement but walked towards the table nevertheless. It wasn't there. "Do you think I left it out in the field?"

It has been only a day since Grey's and my time in our place before conversation went south and we both stormed home with little to no communication. These were the first words I have spoken to him in hours.

"I can go run out and check?"

I knew better than to ask if I could do it myself by now. I already knew the answer and that, plus the attachment I have gotten to my Gran's missing old blanket, already drew my mood for the morning. And also, I was bitter because Grey went to the creek to bath before I woke up and with his return came my annoyance of once again, not getting to be outside.

"Well, do you remember me grabbing it?" My temper was beginning to flare. I could feel the heat creeping up and over my skin. I simply could not lose that red cloak.

"I haven't the slightest idea what you do and don't do, Poppy."

I scoffed because we both knew that was a bold lie. I knew he heard me but I ignored his glare from outside the den, too wrapped up in my obvious panic about a piece of cloth.

"Will you please help me?" I nearly whined. "If you aren't going to help, then I am going to need something warm to wear." The words left me before I could push them back down. "Maybe I could go into town and get some new clothes? Something warm. Like a jumper or coat."

"No." That was all Grey said.

"No?" Oh, I was in for it now when Grey's sleight colored eyes pierced me from across the short space we kept between us.

"That is what I said, isn't it?"

I bit down hard on my lip to stop myself from speaking my mind. You know what, forget keeping my temper. He was being so inconsiderate! "You know what?" I shouted at him with a snarl.

"The least you could do is loosen the leash a little bit, Grey. I have been nothing but obedient for the most part and I deserve a little trust. And I deserve to not freeze my arse off if I am to be stuck with a pompous monster like yourself whose mood is the only thing that keeps this undercrave hole hot or cold."

Grey's face didn't move except for the tick of his left eye that told me he was about to lose it. But before he could start off on me and my attitude, Jack stuck his head through the den door.

At first he did nothing but look between the two of us. "Did I interrupt something?"

"Yes," I answered at the same time Grey responded, "No."