16: The Search Party

"You are a lot bossier than I remember, Red

"You are a lot bossier than I remember, Red." Grey carried the sack of dishes as if it was the biggest burden ever placed on his shoulders.

"Put the dishes over there," I instructed once we reached a small pond. I lugged the woven basket of Grey's clothes with a pinched nose over to the water. I dumped them all on a large rock.

The day was glorious. The sun was out and the birds sang like they were singing for the Queen. Maybe it was because I was finally getting my head wrapped around what I needed to achieve in order to get back to Granny's, but I felt as light as the blades of grass swaying in the summer breeze.

"Now," I said wiping my hair off my forehead with the back of my hand. "Take the dishes and put them in the water. But--" I pointed a sharp finger at the dark haired man. "Don't let them float away. I will not eat off the floor."

He stood motionless until I narrowed my eyes at him. He was defiant, I will give him that. It was very obvious that he has never been told what to do a day in his life sans Jack. And he has definitely never been told off by a woman.

With a growl, he grabbed the napsack and crashed them onto the soft grass. He looked at me sideways to see if I flinched at the sound of cracking glass but I remained unfazed. I wasn't going to let him get to me. I would have the upper hand from here on out.

"Take the soap and scrub them once they are wet," I demanded like a mother would to a child learning a task for the first time. "You should be able to see your face in it when it is done properly."

"Humans," Grey muttered under his breath but took the soap to the china so harshly I was afraid it would snap in half under the pressure.

I tried hiding my amusement as he grunted and cursed under his breath. I swear the tips of my ears were red by the time I caught my breath to start washing his clothes.

"You know," I said trying to fill the silence once Grey was done filling the air with profound language he was sure to have learned from his dictionaries that were piled up on his floor back at the den. "I should really have some clothes, don't you think? I mean, I can't very well wear this plaid shirt and cloak for the rest of my life."

He doesn't answer and his silence made me become nervous. He can see right through me. I know it.

"Maybe you can go into town and pick up some dresses? Or better yet some pants," I corrected myself when I caught his eyes on my calf again. As nonchalantly as I possibly could, I covered my leg with the cloak. I would offer to go into town myself but I knew Grey would take that as another escape plan. I was not as stupid as he seemed to think I was. I would show him.

He still didn't say a word and because of that I started to roughly throw down his shirts against the rock. My anger was flaring up again and I focused on the chorus of birds to calm myself. Water flung up at my face every time I slammed the various pieces of cloth down.