17: A Choice Has Been Made

Woot Woot for double updates! I'm trying to get chapters up as fast as I can. Bare with me:)

I took off in a run towards the harsh sound that echoed off the trunks

I dodged vines, rocks with moss covering them, and tree branches. If a gun went off, Grey was spotted which meant my mother could be injured as well.

I bit my tongue when a sharp branch slashed my upper arm when the cloak flew backwards at the speed I was going.

I wasn't sure if I was more worried about my mother or Grey. Surely even a Beast wasn't prone to bullets. Though he is rash and rough around the edges, Grey has yet to do anything that would actually harm me. Sure, he has threatened me harm, but he has yet to lay a hand on me.

Maybe it was just because ever since I was given back my memories, I miss my childhood friend, but it hurt me to think of him being harmed.

But if my mother was hurt in anyway, there was no doubt in my mind this sudden surge of loyalty towards Grey would disappear as fast as it appeared.

All in all, any sort of thought left my mind when the sight of the large gray wolf laying on the forest floor came into sight. I looked around me cautiously, for the forest was deadly quiet, the sharp crack of the bullet stunning the lively area.

"Grey?" I whispered loudly into the open air. I continued to survey my surroundings as I inched closer to the too still body. When I reached him, I fell on my knees in front of him.

His moonlited eyes rolled towards my face.

"They saw you?" I ran my hand over his fur to see where he was injured but I saw nothing.

"No, they saw a deer." His voice was loud and clear in my head which at first frightened me but a calming feeling overcame me at remembering the many years communicating like this with him. "The bullet ricocheted off it's antler and hit me in the side. Bad aim, if I've ever seen it."

More like bad luck, I thought while surveying the area once more. Something wet clung to my fingertips as I nonchalantly ran my hands over Grey once more.

It was then that I saw the steady stream of blood seeping into the green floor underneath him. He was too large for me to turn over on my own, no matter how hard I tried. He groaned in protest, repeatedly telling me to stop.

"Who shot the gun?" I was trying to think of anything to get my mind off this conflicting issue. If he died, I was free. And if he died, I lost another childhood friend.

"I don't know, Poppy. I was a little preoccupied." Grey moaned in pain as he tried to stand. He collapsed before he could get a paw steady. "It might have been your mother, though."

"Don't hurt her," I found myself saying with earnest and a little too quickly to give off that that was the main thing on my mind.

His eyes locked with mine again and it was like I could see the man inside those eyes. I wasn't sure who he was supposed to be in his rightful form. Was he really the wolf, the man his costume? Or was he the man, the wolf his disguise to scare off those too timid to see beneath it?