11: The Andrews' Boy

A young Poppy below!! ENJOY.

Poppy ran down the hill. The grass collected between her newly painted ruby red toes as they gripped to the earth so she wouldn't tumble over.

The boy down the road had asked her to go to the pond today to fish. She wasn't very keen on fishing considering she felt bad for the little worm when the hook pierced through it. But he was rather cute and for some odd reason, boys and girls were starting to want to be her friend.

With her new white bikini tied around her neck, she adjusted it to stay in place as she continued to make her way to the forest line.

"Grey!" She called the closer she got. She didn't have to hear his voice to know that he was there already waiting for her.

"What are you wearing?" Is the first thing he said to her.

She looked down at her nearly cladded self and rolled her eyes. "My new suit. Will you come out so we can talk face to face? You know how I hate talking through shrubbery."

She had hoped her words would prompt one of his deep chuckles but a low growl floated through instead. She hated when he was in a bad mood, which wasn't often around her. But lately, things had been off between the two.

Poppy was either too late or couldn't stay late enough. Too bossy, or in this case, wearing too little of clothing. Every second that she spent with the wolf seemed like not enough time for her friend but she was getting lucky with making new friends on her own. Human friends. 

"You're ditching me again today?" Came Grey's voice through the barrier he refused to come out behind. He seemed to have read her mind. He has gotten good at that over the years.

"Not ditching," the newly teen assured though she knew her friend was right. "I got asked to go to the pond with the neighbor boy. My mother nearly bribed me to say yes with chocolates that I promise to share with you when I get back. It shouldn't be too late." When he didn't answer her, she peered further into the leaves. "You know Mum hates me hanging out in these woods. She's just excited I've made a friend."

"I am your friend..."

"And you are the very best one," she mused wanting to run her fingers through his beautiful silver fur. It was something her hands always itched to do when he wasn't around. He liked when she did this almost as much as she liked the velvety feel through her fingers. 

"And I don't like chocolate," he stubbornly continued to argue.

The girl barked out a laugh that made her chest heave with amusement. Grey didn't like her wearing that swimsuit. He has noticed the large changes in the girl whom was slowly becoming a woman.

"That's a bold lie and you know it, Grey."

She was right, the wolf loved chocolate but the sweet taste was left bitter in his mouth since the little wildflower in front of him was going to be playing and talking and spending her precious time with someone else. A human boy at that.

"Please don't be angry," she lowly said, gripping tighter onto her beach bag hanging on her shoulder.

"I am always angry," the wolf retorted.  

"Not at me."

"No," his voice grew more hushed as he heard footsteps in the near distance. "Not at you."

The girl's ears pricked at the soft padding of running feet to her right. She turned her head and saw the neighbor boy, Dalton, smiling and rushing to her.

"Hello, Dalton," she said with a cheery voice, nearly bouncing on her toes.

"You ready?" He asked after making his way in front of her. "Mum packed some rolls and jam for us for when we get hungry."

"Great!" She said "My mum sent some chocolates with me."

A low grumble echoed off the treetops behind them. Poppy tried to distract her new friend by coughing into her fist. Her eyes darted between the woods and the boy in front of her. Dalton shook it off and smiled more broadly at her.

He was handsome in a messy haired, bright eyed, kind of way. She was embarrassed enough to say she had a crush on him but Gran would kill her if she ever found out. If everything was Grans' way, Poppy wouldn't leave the house all summer after she turned the age of thirteen. Especially not in the white bikini she was wearing. Afterall, that's how she lost her mother was to a boy.

"Shall we?" the boy asked and began to walk forward once she had nodded.

Before she followed, she turned back to the woods. "I'll come by tonight."

"Who are you talking to?"

She turned back around, red faced, to an amused Dalton Andrews who didn't get as far as she thought he did.

"No one." She smiled at him until he turned away and started heading up the hill and jumped a fence onto his estate.

The girl took a few steps before stopping and looked over her shoulder where she knew her wooded friend was still watching.

"I wish you could come, Grey," Poppy said with a frown on her face. "You know that I wish that, don't you?"

When he didn't answer her, she sighed, and made her way up and over the grass to the Andrews' pond.

He wished he could come too because if he could walk amongst the humans, he would never leave this girl's side.

And even when the stars came out and the girl's words fell short on her coming to visit him when she was done spending times amongst her own kind, the hollowness grew because without her, he felt empty.

And as the years past, the hollowness grew like the flower she was blooming in to.