12: The Lumberjack

"Let me go this instant!" I threatened, trying my hardest to wretch my hands out of the man's grip to rip off the blindfold that once again covered my eyes

"Screech any louder, you'll wake the dead."

His words made me freeze which sent me nearly falling flat on my face before he yanked my hands higher as if to balance me out. Images of the ones he has killed, reaching up and grabbing my ankles to pull me under the soil where they bodies have decayed, flash through my mind.

I really needed sleep or I was going to become delirious.

I was unable to speak after that. Too afraid to do so. Where was he taking me and for what reason did we have to hike across the forest? These were the questions that raced through my mind because I knew that if I asked them aloud, they would go ignored.

We walked-- or shall I say, I was dragged-- for what seemed like hours until I bumped into the man's broad back when he stopped abruptly. I felt his fingers work themselves against the blindfold and when he let it slide over my eyes and down my cheek, I shook my head vigorously. I narrowed an icy stare at him.

By the way his eyes shown under the moonlight, he was amused with my anger. I could imagine my red hair is a mess framing my face and my cheeks were bright red with fury, a striking combination I am told.

"You could be more gentle, you know. It's not like I am able to run away. Fur and supernatural speed and all." I ripped my wrist away from his hold and rubbed at the sore skin.

He rolled his eyes, actually shot them towards the stars and over the moon. It was as if he was about to throw his head back and howl.

I shrink back when his fist raises. He froze, watching my reaction like a bug under a microscope. I quickly closed my eyes, waiting for the blow only to hear a quick rapture of knocks beside my ear. I cracked one eye open at a time to see him inches closer to my face. But instead of inching back, I am frozen.

His eyes are dark like the night sky but the whites surrounding his irises are as bright as the full moon. And for some odd reason, I am mesmerised long enough that I didn't hear the creaking of hinges behind me.

The prickle of attention on the back of my head is what shakes me out of it. Or maybe it was the tick of the man's eyes over my shoulder that made it seem easier to move. Slowly, I spun around to come face to face with a broad flannel chest. 

When my eyes drug up in the plaid shirt, they come to land on stoic bearded face. I tried to take a step back, but the man's solid structure guarded me like a brick wall.

"Do you know what time it is?" The burly man questioned. Though I knew he wasn't talking to me, his hooded eyes wouldn't leave my face.

The vibration of my kidnapper's voice could be felt against my back as he answered. "This is a time sensitive matter, Jack. You can tear yourself away from knitting and your china dolls long enough to repay your debt, can't you?"