14: Found the Missing Links

I woke out of the trance--or maybe it was a dream-- like a pale of water had been thrown over me

I woke out of the trance--or maybe it was a dream-- like a pale of water had been thrown over me. While gasping for air, it suddenly dawned on me that that is exactly what had happened. Water droplets dripped off my head and into my mouth making me stutter.

"I told you to give her time," Jack scolded the dark hair man with a wagging finger.

"We don't know how safe it is to keep her under. She has had enough time to remember." Those eyes never left me while he spoke. It was as if he was measuring my reaction to the dream I just had. Except it wasn't a dream. It was a memory. That was clear now.

As if my body now had a mind of its own, my calf started to ache with a tingling pain. The now surfaced memory of the Beast I had seen transform in front of me back at the den invaded my mind. Except this time, he was trying to kill my sweet old Granny as well as rip my leg off in order to take me away.

"Grey." Is the first word I am able to say. I felt like I was still in some sort of a hypnotic trance from the sap the lumberjack had given me.

The man's eyes soften along with his strictly structured features.

"Hey, Little Flower."

My stomach heaved with recognition. He was my childhood friend, this man standing in front of me. Except I have never seen him in man form. He was always a wolf to me. A wolf that had been nothing but nice until that one frightful late summer day.

"I don't understand," I said. I could feel my breathing picking up, anxiety gripping my windpipe. "How is this possible? Why didn't I remember you before?"

Maybe it was PTSD that kept the images of a monster out of my mind. That was it. My brain was just trying to keep me sane.

The lumberjack was the one to answer me. "Your Grandmother gave you one of her famous concoctions. She mixed Bloodroot, Passionflower, Ginseng, and those purple berries she seems so fond of into your tea after the..." Jack glanced over at Grey whos face hardened once more, "Incident. It wiped your mind completely."

I watched Grey walk towards one of the thick roots of the tree and pick at the strong exterior. His legs were so long, his thighs thick of muscle. His back was broad, well sculpted and trained with unimaginable reasons. Everything about him screamed dangerous.

The once shaking emotion that I have acquainted as fear has dulled since I have woken up. But instead of fear, which managed to hover under the surface, was a deep sadness as I watched the Beast's back heave up and down with breath.

My best friend had tried to take me away from my family because he was selfish. In the process, he nearly killed me. But most importantly, he tried to kill my Granny. If it wasn't for me chucking a rock at him, he would have succeeded. Doesn't he know how much that would have hurt me?

"She also rubbed something on your leg to help with the scarring. I have yet to figure out what she used but I am determined. It is miraculous, really. You can barely see the scar."