part nine

-kiaria pov-

"History," Mr. Namgung said, clapping his hands. "Today we will be discussing the meaning of history. Remember, keep it simple."

I raised my hand.

"Yes, Kiaria," Mr. Namgung said. "Please answer."

"History is the written and recorded events of people."

"Very good," he rambled on. "Let's continue." After  a very boring double period of history, it was the end of  the school day.

"Remember, students!" Ms. Gyeong said as we packed up. "Basketball tryouts are due tomorrow."

Crap, I said to myself. I was going to practice before tryouts!

I sighed and left the classroom, heading into the warm courtyard, the trees dropping small white flowers here and there, looking just like snow.

I sat down on a small stool near a large willow tree. Apparently, no one came here. For the last few years, this is where I enjoyed relaxing the most. I took out my phone and headphones and scrolled through YouTube. After a few videos, I started on my homework. The first thing on my list was math, followed by history, and - oh, this was going to take a while.

By the time I had finished my math questions, I could hear a voice calling my name.

"Oh, Kiaria," someone sang, their voice growing closer. "Oh, my good friend, Kiaria."

Out of the thick leaves of the willow tree, I saw the grinning face of Taehyung.

"What was the singing for?" I asked.

"Why, was it bad?"

"Oh, no," I said, smiling. "It was beautiful. You should sing more often."

"Maybe I do," he said, playing with his fingers.

I sighed. "How did you know I was here?"

"Just looked 'round a bit," he replied. He sat down next to me. "Whatcha doing?"

"Homework."

"Well, that's boring."

"Yeah, but that's what'll help me get into a good college," I said. "Plus, I have to practice for basketball tryouts tomorrow."

"Oh, yeah," Taehyung said, searching through his bag for something. "Jungkook won't shut up about them."

Jungkook.

"Y-Yeah," I said.

"Here!" Taehyung exclaimed, taking his hand out of his bag. He handed me a small plastic packet.

It was a fortune cookie. I raised an eyebrow.

Taehyung could see my confusion. "It's a fortune cookie."

"I can see that," I said. "Why did you give it to me?"

"Duh," he replied in a mocking tone. "Jungkook and I were having Chinese last night, so I saved it for you. You know, because your name means fortunate."

I smiled.

"That's really nice," I said. "Thank you. But, I have a question."

"Yes?"

"How do you know what my name means?"

Taehyung's cheeks flushed. "I looked it up."

"Yeah, but you might have had to look a lot," I said, pulling out my phone. "The first result is Irish and means 'dark.' Obviously, that's not-"