Chapter 9: The Wife's Family

Two weeks already passed after the eventful meeting with Lucas. She filled the passing weeks by being busy with the expansion of her bookshop/cafe - her very own business. She started it when she was still eighteen as a lending store for books, until three years ago when her clients started asking for new books either for school or just for recreational purposes. It was hard at first because looking for supplier with a good deal and reasonable price was difficult that she already considered stopping her plan of turning it into a bookshop. Good thing Ethan helped, he knows someone who knows somebody who supplies books at a great deal within a reasonable price.

The cafe was added just recently when out of a whim she attended a crash course on coffee making and decorating, when an idea of adding a cafe into the bookstore came into her mind. So this is what makes her occupied that it helps to forget her problem even for awhile. But these past few days she had been on edge because of the ultimatum she gave to Lucas' lawyer regarding the divorce papers. Thanksgiving already came but they did not try to reach her even once, so she is thinking that they will not heed her demand at all.

Another deep sigh escaped her lips. So deep on her thoughts she felt her heart jump when she heard her mother's voice.

---

"I know that peeling and slicing potatoes is kinda boring, but is it that boring? You sighed so many times already that I'm starting to think you don't want to be with me. Do you need to be somewhere else?" Alessa, Claire's mother, asked her youngest child. She is bothered with how Claire behaves these past several weeks, she can feel that something is wrong, that is why she had been looking forward to today for them to be able to talk without the the boys around. They are always raucous when together that a serious and one-on-one talk is impossible especially if it concerns Claire, they are all protective of her since..- She shook her head to clear the memories of that traumatic time in their family and to focus her mind into her daughter's concern.

"Something is bothering you I know, and you know you can talk to me with anything Claire." She prodded her slowly.

Claire looked at her with her green eyes, eyes that look exactly like hers. The likeness always sends a sense of pride and wholeness in her.

She saw in Claire's eyes that she is contemplating whether to tell her or not.

"You know, if you were able to tell Penny, you can also share it with me. Although I am way older than her I am also your bestfriend, am I not?" She told her with slight teasing.

A smile formed in her angelic face, a face exactly like hers, brightening up her whole mien.

"We should also take this opportunity while your brothers are not here, otherwise there will be shouting and cursing, if you know what I mean." She even winked that Claire chuckled.

---

"Oh mom, you know that I know that I can always tell you my problems, it's just that I don't know how you will react, unlike your sons, they are predictable you know. They will fight first, questions later." She explained with an eyeroll. Her mother just looked at her with a promise not to judge or react harshly.

Claire took another sigh before opening her mouth and told the tale to her mother from the very beginning, to the meeting and her ultimatum that is due in another week and a few days.

She expected a rant from her mother but instead she surprised her with a laugh and clapping of her hands excitedly, like a child who got an ice cream for a snack, that made her jaw-slacked.

---

"Isn't it exciting? It is like a fated love story." Alessa exclaimed, all smiles and eyes glittering with romantic notions. She had always been romantic since she experienced it first hand with her husband of thirty two years.