Chapter 10: The Scheme

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to CharlotteRose136, thank you for your support.

I am sorry for the delay in uploading this chapter, some personal matters kept me busy.

Thank you for your patience, and for that, I now give you the continuation of Lucas and Claire's fated story.

Happy reading! ;)

________________________________________________

Even after several days, Lucas still can't completely accept the fact that Claire left his office without a backward glance. She should've at least talked to him before she left his office and his building. He can't understand her, and he couldn't understand himself why he is so upset because of what she did, he felt betrayed when in fact he shouldn't be. It is as if she meant something to him. 'Ha! Not in a million years." He countered his thought. But he can give her credit for her courage, she was able to walk out of him. 'Do not be so upset Lucas, it is not as if she will be staying in your life forever.' At that thought he stilled because he felt something - a pang akin to sadness. 'Sadness?! Why will I be sad if she will not be in my life forever?...Cease these nonsense Lucas!' He willed himself to stop, took a deep breath and cleared his mind. He turned his head when he heard his grandmother's voice.

"Lucas! Can't you hear what I'm saying my dear boy? I've been asking you the same question thrice already. What has gotten you so deep in your thoughts? Is it the company?" His grandmother, Helen, asked him without a pause.

He cleared his throat before he answered. "I'm sorry grandmother, I was just thinking about business. What was it that you were saying?"

"I said that you should clear your schedule this coming Friday. You will accompany me to my friend's party. I am sure you will meet a woman that you may like this time." His grandmother said while staring pointedly at him.

He swallowed his food first before he answered. "I'm sorry grandmother but I have other things to do that day. Mother can accompany you in that party instead of me." He declined his grandmother's demand although he is free that day. He knows she is formulating again a plan of hooking him up to any suitable female to be his wife. Times like this makes him wants to blurt out that he is married, for because of this scheme that he formulated that plan. But considering that the wife he made up is real, he cannot just confess it without thinking about Claire. Bile rose up on his throat everytime he remembered the hurt look on her face when he carelessly said that she should be the one who will act as incapacitated for the annullment.

"Lucas..." his mother's pleading voice snapped him of his reverie.

He took a deep sigh before he conceded to his grandmother's demand. "Alright, I will try to finish my work earlier on that day. But I will come to that party on my own, I will not accompany you. You both know that I am aware of your schemes."

"That is okay with me Lucas, as long as you will come to that party and try to get to know any eligible female there." Although his grandmother agreed to his demand, he can feel she is brewing something on her mind, that is why he is preparing himself for anything that may happen.

"Lucas, I cannot quite understand why you do not like any of the women we set up with you. They are all nice, beautiful, well-educated, socially adept and came from prominent families." Helen said after sometime. She wants him to settle and get married already. She knows her grandson is afraid of marrying, though he is not saying it, she can feel it. His wayward ways worries her and his mother. Everyday since he became successful with the business, there is not a day where the gossip is not about him having an affair with different women. She and Anna, his mother is constantly in deep thoughts concerning his well-being. If ever there will come a time that he will choose a woman to marry will be wonderful, and she will be thankful for the rest of her life if he falls in love with that said woman. She returned her focus on her grandson when she heard him ask a question.