Chapter 18: The Luncheon with a Slice of Challenge

A/N: thank you so much MaeJoson0 for voting. I hope you will like this chapter as well.

To everyone, thank you so much for waiting. I apologize again for not uploading the chapters as promised; and without further ado, I'm giving you this next chapter of Claire's and Lucas' story.

Happy reading! ;)

________________________________________________

A week went past after the ball, Sean have been true with his silent promise of keeping her secret to himself. He didn't say a word even when he came three days ago for a visit. The boys were back as well including their father. The whole family have been busy decorating the house for the holidays, it was put on hold for at least a week since everybody was not present. It was a tradition that everyone should be here while decorating, so now the whole house including the garden is teeming with lights and decorative items for christmas. The store was also decorated accordingly with christmas songs blasting from the stereo that everyone coming can feel the holiday season in the atmosphere.

She was busy studying the audit report for the month when her phone rang, the caller ID shows only number.

"Hello."

"Good morning Claire." A woman's voice came into the speaker.

"Good morning. May I know who's on the line?" Claire ask for she cannot put a face behind the voice. She almost fell on the chair once the caller answered her question.

"I'm sorry, I should've introduced myself first. This is Helena, Lucas' grandmother. How are you Claire?"

"I-I am fine. T-thank you. How are you?" She stuttered her answer before she caught herself.

"I'm fine as well, thank you for asking. I know you are quite dumbfounded why I called." At her silence, Helena continued. "Are you free tomorrow at lunch?"

"I will be here at my shop tomorrow. May I know why you asked?" Claire asked without letting her nervousness show.

"I just want to invite you for lunch tomorrow. We didn't talked that much last week at the ball, that is why I want to spend some time with you. Considering you are already my granddaughter by marriage, I want to know you better." At Helena's explanation, she became more anxious. 'Will I say yes?' She asked herself but before she weighed the pros and cons of agreeing, Helena probed her for answer. "Claire, is it alright?"

With the question, she cannot refuse the invitation anymore without appearing as someone who avoids being at the same place with her. That avoidance may result with Helena becoming suspicious of the real relationship between her and Lucas.

"Yes, it's alright. At what time you want us to meet?"

"If it's alright with you, can we meet at 12noon? At an Italian restaurant in Time's Square? Considering you will have to travel to meet me." Helena asked with consideration that she instantly refute.

"No, it's okay, I can do the travel."

"Great! I'll do the appointment. See you tomorrow Claire."

"Sure. See you tomorrow. Bye." After the call ended, she immediately had second thoughts in conceding into Helena's invitation. She can just hope that nothing of import will happen tomorrow at lunch.

She is still pondering about tomorrow's luncheon when Bea came knocking that she immediately came into attention and asked.

"Yes Bea, what is it?"

"Nothing of consequence. There is just a man outside asking if he can work here at the shop." Bea's reply made her forehead creased into confusion.