Chapter 11: The Demand

A/N: As a peace offering since there was a delay in uploading the last chapter, I decided to release the next one today.

Hope you will continue reading and looking forward to the remaining chapters.

Happy reading! ;)

________________________________________________

Lucas stepped out of his car towards the bookshop that is listed as Claire's workplace on the business card she gave to Drake before. He debated with himself for a long time before finally deciding to come to this town and talk to her. Yes, he is now the one who is looking for her and have the need to talk. It must be done, otherwise his grandmother will have his head. He blew a breath when he remembered what happened after they went home from the party three days ago...

He parked his car on the garage and helped his grandmother and mother out of the car. 'Everything is fine.' he thought. He had dodged the incoming questions that his grandmother started to ask at the party. When they were inside, Helen ushered him into the mini library to talk. He was about to decline the invitation but the stare that his grandmother fixed on him made him follow her, his mother on his heels.

"Sit." Helen instructed him and he did so in a relaxed manner. He willed himself not to tense up with what is about to happen, although he started to perspire.

"Who is Claire?" Helen started her questioning.

"Just Claire. You don't know her or her family." He answered truthfully.

"When and where did you meet her? What is your relationship with her?" Helen asked which he simply countered with a "None of your concern."

He stood up to cease the questioning but the next statement that his grandmother said made him stop on his track.

"Amanda's parents wants you to marry her."

"What?!" He asked baffled. "Why would they want that?!" "What did you say to them?" He asked in succession that his grandmother motioned for him to sit again, in which he did after releasing a long breath.

"What is at stake?" The businessman in him made him ask.

"The merger of your companies." Helen replied.

His brow lifted at the answer. "So it will be like a business proposal? Our companies will merge if I marry their daughter." He quipped in a deadpan tone in which Helen replied with a simple yes.

"What did you say to them?" He querried.

"That I'll inform you first if you will agree since your future is at stake." Helen answered with a smile. He was about to say his thanks but what she said next made his brows crinkle in annoyance.

"But it is quite a good opportunity for the business and we will have a bigger benefit, don't you think?" She said as if trying to reconsider and persuading him to agree.

"No, I will not concede on this matter. This concerns my future as what you have said, so tell them that my answer is a no." Then he stood up and was about to reach the door when his grandmother tried again.

"Why don't you want to marry a woman like Amanda? She is beautiful, smart, comes from a well-off family and she likes you."

"But I do not like her grandmother. Even if marrying her means that I have a hand in their company I will not do so, not in a million years." He snapped at her. He thought she is finished but she said something that made him loose it.