Chapter 22: The Rules Among Other Things

A/N: another chapter for all of you. Thank you for your continued support.

Happy reading! ;)
________________________________________________

Morning came and light is already seeping through the gap in the curtain. He veered his head towards the bed whether Claire is still sleeping but found it empty. He checked the time, it is only five minutes past seven o'clock, which means that she just got up and maybe still in the bathroom, and as good as his guess is, he heard a flush from there. He kept himself lying on the couch and wait for a sign that Claire is already finished with her morning ritual. It will take about thirty minutes before she will leave the bath.

He must be a prophet of sort today for what he had surmised is happening. The closing of the shower act as the signal that he's been waiting. So he got up and cleaned his mouth before facing her and waited. It also came to his mind to clothe himself so as not to scandalize his wife more. Then he stood by the doorway leading to the walk in closet and waited.

Claire walked out of the bath covered with robe, water moisture still clings on her exposed skin. Although he is used to seeing woman's body parts, he had never seen a woman more beautiful and alluring than his wife right now, considering she is covered modestly. He noticed she has that aura of indifference - again. He sighed and spoke up.

"Claire, please talk to me. If you don't want us to be like before then at least be civil to me. I cannot do this pretense without your help and don't forget that you already agreed."

She did not answer, not even a mumble, she is busy choosing her outfit.

"Do you mind?" She whispered while holding a pair of jeans and shirt.

He turn around, his back facing her. He wanted to laugh in disbelief, he had never been in a situation like this where a female refuses to be seen by him, they usually display their body to entice him more. Rustling of clothes snapped him from his train of thoughts, it fueled his imagination and stirred his groin that made him took another deep breath.

"You can talk, you know?" He heard Claire's voice. Why does her voice sounds so bewitching and he knows she is not even trying. He forced himself to clear his head from seductive thoughts and focused on the matters at hand.

"We need to discuss our ground rules." He started which Claire hummed her agreement.

"Tell me your boundaries first, is it okay if I kiss you?" He asked unsure whether it is appropriate.

"You already did that before without my consent, don't you remember? Or you have forgotten already." She answered while passing him, removing her head towel. He caught a whiff of her shampoo, a combination of citrus and flowery scent that made him groan, for she made it harder to suppress the stirring in his groin.

He followed her to the bedroom and found her sitting on the couch, indian-style.

"So, it's okay if I kiss you?" He clarified.

"Well, for the sake of our ploy, then yes, there is no problem. But I will only allow it in public." She said decisively.

"Okay. Until where?" When Claire raised her brow in confusion, he continued. "Cheeks, lips? Just a peck or more?"

---

At his questions, Claire willed herself not to blush. She already had some rules on her mind even before she came here. She even wrote it down in a paper that she handed to Lucas.

Lucas accepted the paper which contains the following:

● Rules to Follow When in Public:

1. May kiss on the cheek, forehead and lips (but only after asking permission).