Chapter 20: The Act of Pretending

A/N: Hey there! Here is the next chapter, I decided to upload this earlier than usual to make up with you all, since I am already behind with the promised chapters to be published per week.

To MaeJoson0, here is the update that you've been waiting for..pm me. 😉

Thank you for being patient and for your continued support everyone. Have a wonderful week!

Happy reading! ;)
________________________________________________

Lucas is at his wit's end with worry, not because of his business for it was only a slight glitch that can be handled without much problem, but due to what Alvin said when he asked if Claire already arrived safely. His grandmother is at his place together with his mother and are planning to stay with Claire until he arrives.

'What are they planning?' He thought for he doesn't know anymore what Helena is brewing now. His brows furrowed when something, an idea struck his mind.

'Are they going to push that idea into my wife's mind? Or are they staying to see if there is anything amiss? I just hope that they will be true to their words that they will leave once I get back.' His musings was halted by his employee.

"Sir, the car is ready."

"Okay, thank you."

He sighed and left his thoughts at the very back of his mind. 'I will face this problem first before the one that is happening at home.'

He just hopes that Claire will be able to tolerate his family especially the indirect manipulative streaks of his grandmother and he just prayed that whatever Helena will say, she will not fell into it.

---

While Lucas is pensive at the other side of the country, Claire is clearly astonished at what is happening at that very moment.

Since she arrived a while ago, Helena has been stating what she had planned while living here at the penthouse with her. She just hopes that she will not lay a trap somewhere  and she prays that she can counter it while still early - if she can able to point what it is.

"So Claire, we will go for shopping tomorrow, alright?" Helena asked her snapping her train of thoughts. Though it was said as if asking her approval, Helena's face shows otherwise.

"Sure, but I will not buy anything. I am not here for a shopping spree." Claire said politely.

"Claire, it is okay for us to shop. We will ask Lucas if it is okay." Anne said while typing on her cellphone.

---

Lucas took his ringing phone out of his pocket. His brow raised when he saw his mother's name on the screen.

"Hello mother, is there a problem? Is Claire okay?" Lucas cannot help the worry to come over his voice.

"Lucas, do not fret, Claire is alright. I called to ask if it is okay if she can come with us tomorrow for a shopping. I am asking you because she refuses to come with us and to buy something for herself." Anne explained lenghtly.

Lucas pondered for a while before speaking. "Is my wife there with you mother?"

"Yes, she is here. Do you want to talk to her?" Anne asked.

"Yes, mother, please." He heard a slight pause and some hushed whisper before he heard Claire's voice.

"Hello."

"Hi sweetheart. Are you okay? My family is not monopolizing and manipulating you, or are they?" Lucas cannot helped to fret.

"Yes, I am fine." Her curt reply.