Chapter 19: The Start of Pretense

A/N: I would like to thank the following people who added my work into their reading list, you know who you are.

I would like to apologize as well for this will be the last chapter that I can upload for this week. Some personal matters are keeping me busy.

Hope you all will love this.

Happy reading! ;)

________________________________________________

Claire couldn't believe herself for agreeing to that idea that Helena said during the luncheon a week ago, that she wants to bang her head everytime she remembers it. If only her mind was right on track, it has always been her weakness, being caught off guard that will always end up with her conceding to whatever the other person is saying. Her mother already warned her before that she may regret the decisions she might do during those times. Even Lucas was shocked at her agreement, he even called her that very same day after she left the restaurant.

"Claire, I didn't know you will not contradict my grandmother's notion of us living together. I thought you are insistent for that divorce that you so wanted, what happened Claire? Why did you agreed?" Lucas' dumbfounded voice came into the speaker.

She recalled the conversation in her mind and she thought she might have a way out of it. "I did not agree per se, didn't I? I only said that it might be a good idea."

"Yes, you might not have agreed directly but you did not refute it as well, it looks like you concur indirectly with her."

She sighed and felt contrite. "It does look like that."

At her contrition, she heard Lucas took a deep breath at the other end and they both fell silent. Lucas spoke again after several minutes.

"We will think this through, okay?"

"Okay, I'm sorry about that Lucas." She said apologetically.

"It's fine Claire, happy holidays."

"Happy holidays." She answered then they both ended the call.

So here she is, still thinking a way how to get out of this other problem. It feels like she digged themselves further down the lie that Lucas started and that there is no way out. These days she is always in deep thoughts that she sometimes caught herself staring blankly, not minding her surroundings. Her focus was snapped when she bumped into someone that she almost fell on her butt. Her arms flayed and held onto somebody's arms.

"I'm sorry." She apologized as she righted herself.

"It's okay ma'am, are you okay?" Thomas or Old Tom as he wanted to be called, asked her, he is the one she bumped into.

"Yes, I am fine. Thank you." She answered.

"You should always be alert with your surroundings ma'am. Do you have a problem? You've been wandering the whole store while thinking."

She turned her head in her surroundings and true enough, she is at the far end of the store. Her last memory before this moment is that she was standing near the stairs leading to her office. She have no idea how she end up here, she also noticed that everybody is staring at her, both her employees and some customers. Before she embarrassed herself further she opted to leave the area, thanking Old Tom again.

---

Lucas doesn't know what to do with their current situation, he was so surprised with Claire's answer to his grandmother's idea. He knows she planned it all along, and Claire played right into her trap. He sighed and thought of a counterplan and came up with nothing which made him sigh again while running his hands into his hair. 'I guess we don't have any other choice but to proceed with it.' He thought. It will just depend on them whether they will act as a husband and wife both in public and in private. They must lay a ground rule so that they will not end up blaming each other once everything fell apart.