Going for a Ride

Draco tracked his mate down to the lake and watched as he wandered around the small beach, his head down obviously looking for something. He could sense that Harry was uncomfortable and he guessed it was from the sudden turn his conversation with Severus had taken. He would leave that topic to the Potion Master and his father though, no way was he touching it.

"What's up?" he asked walking closer.

Harry's head snapped up, but it quickly dropped down again without answering.

"So what are we doing?" Draco asked after he'd walked beside Harry for several minutes. The boy was stubbornly staring at the ground. Now and then he'd bend down to pick up a small stone, but almost immediately he dropped again.

"I'm gonna do something I've always wanted to do," Harry said in a small voice Draco could barely hear.

"What? Picking pebbles?" Draco demanded incredulously.

A snorting laughter was torn from the brunet. "No silly. Just watch," he said shoving Draco gently.

"Harry, love, I have watched you and all you do is pick up pebbles. And for this you dragged me away from the find of the century?"

"Silly!" Harry repeated with another snort. "Aha! This should do!" he crooned happily pouncing on a rock the size of his fist. It was dark grey with inlays of a whitish mineral. Not particularly beautiful in Draco's opinion and he said as much.

Harry gave him a look, but didn't say anything. He merely walked away from the sand and once he had grass under his feet, he dropped the stone on the ground and drew his wand.

"See? Pebble picking and dropping. Not much fun in that if you ask me," Draco drawled, secretly pleased when he tricked another laugh out of his mate. Harry was made for laughter. His mate had a most beautiful laugh, too bad he seldom displayed it.

"I'm gonna make you regret those words Draco Malfoy," Harry stated moving his wand in a twirling motion uttering an enlargement charm. The rock went from being barely fist-sized to being a hefty boulder.

Draco raised an eyebrow. "Bravo! What's for encore? We drop that thing in the lake?"

"Just wait and see," Harry smiled mysteriously, murmuring a spell Draco couldn't make out. He could see the result though. Slowly the boulder shifted and came to life. Within moments, a beautiful grey horse was standing where the boulder had been. Draco stepped forward, drawn to the beauty of the animal. It was an Arabian if he wasn't mistaken.

"It is beautiful," he whispered holding out a hand for the horse to examine.

"Isn't he?" Harry asked smugly pulling a handkerchief from a pocket. A twirl of the wand and it changed to a thick sheepskin saddle blanket. A few beans become a saddle and tack. A flick of the wrist and the horse were ready to be ridden. "Wanna join me?"

The question broke Draco out of the stupor he had fallen into. The smirk the other boy wore woke the competitive side of the blond and he instantly rose to the unspoken challenge. "You bet!" he answered already running towards the lake to find his own rock to transform.

Not bothering to search as carefully as Harry had done, it didn't take long for Draco to find a rock he was happy with. Joining his mate, he placed the whitish stone on the ground and repeated what Harry had done. Soon a beautiful roan was standing next to the Arab, pawing the ground with a slender hoof and tossing her head.