A Serious Discussion

Lucius strode into the hospital wing and up to the only bed with the privacy screen drawn around it. Entering inside, his stern visage melted into a soft smile. Draco was fast asleep curled up around his pillow, looking five years old. Next to the bed curled up on a divan was Harry, also fast asleep, with a book on his chest, held loosely by lax fingers.

Stepping up to the sleeping brunet, Lucius gently removed the book and the glasses, covering him with a blanket. After he was sure they were both resting comfortably, he went in search of the nurse.

"Checking up on the boys Mr. Malfoy?" Poppy asked, her voice laced with humour.

"Yes. I was told they had ended up here, but the details were a bit sketchy. Could you perhaps fill me in on what exactly happened?" Lucius asked giving the stern nurse a charming smile.

Poppy blushed. Then she laughed. "You always were a charmer Lucius Malfoy. Want some tea?"

"I'd be delighted."

Poppy muttered something under her breath and summoned an elf to get a tea tray.

"So what really happened?" Lucius asked settling back with a teacup in his hands, pleasantries dealt with.

"Well, for once it wasn't the Potter boy, and thank Merlin for that," Pomfrey said heartfelt. "I've never met a boy more prone to accidents and weird happenings." She levelled an eye at Malfoy. "I assume you know they had their first lesson in that dratted class Forgotten Arts today?"

"Yes, I was aware of that," Lucius nodded.

"Your son, from what Professor Sprout informed me, created two wonderful pieces out of wood. Only his images were too detailed, and his magic had to work too hard to recreate the picture he had thought up. This is no cause for alarm. Now that we are aware of his talents and tendencies, Professor Sprout will make sure he doesn't overdo it. In time, Draco's magic will learn to cope and he will no longer get exhausted. Practise makes perfect and all that rot," she added with a small smile.

"From what I understand, your son has quite a future as an artist. I have never seen Peregrine so excited about a student in his class before and from what I understand; Harry is just as talented as Draco is. I hope you will encourage them to explore this newfound talent of theirs. Merlin knows we need some skilled craftsmen considering the mediocre skill that is out
there today," Pomfrey said with a shudder.

"It would seem I need to have a chat with Professor Sprout," Lucius mused. He too was well aware of how rare the true skill to work with wood and stone was today. If someone wanted to create a Manor nowadays, it would be but a shadow of the grand buildings done in the past. The talent to form the materials to the wielders wishes just wasn't there anymore. No one knew why, but ever since the founders time those skills had dwindled; as if building Hogwarts had drained the land until nothing was left. He knew that was merely fanciful thinking, but the fact remained, that talent had all but disappeared in British wizards. Draco and his mate could make a handsome profit and live very comfortable lives if they chose to pursue this line of work.

Of course, between the Malfoy and Potter fortunes, the boys didn't need to work a single day, but he didn't think either were suited for a life as playboys. Turning his attention back to the nurse, he asked, "What should I be looking for?" knowing she would understand what he wanted to know.