Confrontations

"Harry! There you are! What happened to you yesterday? You never showed up in Potions. Professor Snape was not pleased! Oh, yes, here's your homework and here's my notes," Hermione said pushing a stack of parchments into Harry's hands before he could get a word in edgewise.

Rolling his eyes at Draco, he accepted the stack and put them into his bag. "Good morning 'Mione, Ron," Harry said with forced cheer. He knew it was interrogation time and not for the first time he resented the way his friends were acting towards him. What had happened to his friends? And when had they become his bloody keepers? I wonder how much of what I say is reported back to Dumbledore verbatim, he added in his thoughts, startled at how bitter he sounded. Remembering this morning's musings Harry came to the startling realisation that he had already written off the two standing before him, and was no longer considering them as his friends. They were just two people he knew, their opinions no longer mattered to him. He just hadn't wanted to admit it to himself, hadn't been prepared to let go of five years of friendship, even if it had been one-sided.

"Hiya mate." Ron said clapping Harry on the shoulder. "So what did happen to you yesterday?"

"I overdid things in class and ended up spending the afternoon in the hospital wing," Draco drawled coming to his mate's rescue.

Ron gave him a pitying look causing both boys to bristle in resentment. "Too bad Malfoy, but why didn't Harry show up for class?"

"Because I am a Veela and he is my mate?" Draco asked lifting an eyebrow, looking at the redhead as if he was an imbecile.

"Do you mean to tell me that Harry is joined at your hip? That he can't do anything if you aren't around? That's just sick!" Ron nearly shouted gaining the attention of those nearby.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Really Ron, couldn't you have shouted just a tad bit louder?" he asked. "I was with Draco while Pomfrey examined him. We were talking and then we both fell asleep. And no, we aren't joined by the hip. I suggest you actually learn a bit about Veelas before sprouting off nonsense."

"But Harry, Ron has a point," Hermione cut in giving him a reproving look. "Until you bond Draco won't want you out of his sight, and even after you bond he will keep tabs on your every move. That isn't healthy and you should be allowed your own life and not be forced to live whatever life Malfoy deems worthy."

"Please! What trashy novels have you been reading lately?" Harry scoffed. "For your information I went to the Owlery this morning. Alone," he added meaningly. "And Draco here did not throw a fit. He didn't even interrogate me or demand to know where I'd been. Unlike some people I won't name. Now, we better hurry or we'll be late for class," Harry said with a snort and ignoring his friend's gaping mouths he stalked down the corridor, Draco at his side.

"Nice!" the blond drawled. "However, you do know that the only reason I didn't 'throw a fit' was because Father could tell me where you were? That and I noticed the letter you'd written last night was gone."

Harry glanced at Draco, amusement evident on his face. "But they don't know that, do they? And there is no reason to tell them either, is there? 'Forced to live whatever life Malfoy deems worthy', please! It makes me sound like your lapdog or something! As if I'd allow you to control my life like that!" Harry snorted rolling his eyes in exasperation, yet there was a small nagging doubt at the back of his mind. How much free will would he have once the two had bonded? Maybe it was time to take his own advice. With everything that had been going on he hadn't had time to do any reading about Veelas. He didn't know more today than he had at the end of term, having only the scant information they'd gotten during those two lectures the Hogwarts staff had provided when Draco had come into his inheritance last June.