Chapter 16

Tom POV

   "Hey let go of me, I'm the Alphas brother you have no right in shoving me like this!" I shouted from the top of my lungs but, no one would listen to me. This is all because of Alex and my brother Rick. However, this is also my fault and I should of never done that to Alex with all my friends. I knew I wasn't suppose to do anything like that but . . . but . . . I just don't know what I was thinking. I think I was just afraid because this was the first time I heard of a male and male mating bond, and I just didn't want my mate to be male. I've never been attracted to the male body.

   "Shut up Tom, you know what Rick's like! He'll keep you in here longer if you carry on." With that Bruce had strolled off, locking the cell and the entrance. The only light in the dark room was the one very dull like in the corner, hanging above the desk where the guard normally sits doing his paperwork. The smell down here was the worst thing I've ever smelt. The stench that was surrounding the area; black mould, urine, faeces, sweat, tears and on top of that death. I've only been in these cells to drop off prisoners from rouge attacks, or when my brothers ordered me to put disrespectful wolves in here.

   "I'm gonna hit him when I see him, stupid brother of mine!" I huffed out as I slumped down the wall with my head in my hands. I thought I was alone in the cells, no prisoners to my knowledge had been sent down here. However I could smell someone in here with me, they smelt like strawberries and vanilla. My wolf was purring inside, happy for some reason to be smelling something so sweet and wonderful in this horrible smelling place.

   "Who's there?" I shouted out into the dark empty space.

   "Calm down Tom, you know your in here for a week." I heard from outside the door, obviously the idiot who threw me down here was still outside the door. I knew it wasn't him that I could smell though, he smelt like sweat and alcohol.

   "I know someone else is in here, so they might as well speak." I spoke calmly as I tried to use my sensitive hearing to find where they were. It wasn't a scent I was used to, its the first time I had smelt anything so sweet. Why would they smell so sweet in such a horrible place.

   "Hey . . .  hey Tom." I know that voice but . . . I've not heard it in so long.

   "Elijah? Elijah is that you?" I whispered into the dark. It can't be Elijah he went missing just over a year ago, not long after our group of friends attacked Alex actually.

   "Yeah. . . how you been?"

   "Is that all I get? A how you been? You've been missing for over a year! Where on earth have you been?" I asked moving closer to the bars of the cell to see if I could see Elijah, I could smell him still and it was just making my wolf more and more crazy. What was wrong with my wolf?

   "Well you see, I turned 18 before you and I found my mate on the day of my birthday, I couldn't say anything to anyone cause I didn't want them to know, cause I never knew if the person would believe me or in fact like me back." Elijah found his mate? I get why he didn't say anything but, he could of at least told me I was his best friend. I thought he would of at least told me. However, my wolf didn't like the idea of Elijah liking someone else that we didn't know.

   Before I could stop myself I growled. My wolf was trying it make himself known in the room and I couldn't understand why. Not until he spoke through me.

   "MATE!" He growled. I was shaking, I didn't know what to do. No way could Elijah be my mate. Why would the moon goddess do this to me? Elijah and me were like brothers growing up; always together , always training together, playing games together and we were even together when we both turned for the first time. His mum and my mum are the best of friends, he's like two months older then me.

   "You're my mate!" I growled out at him again, "You were hiding from me this whole time? You disappeared the day before my 18th birthday. Why would you do that to me? I've been looking for you for months, following ever lead and mention of your name through all 12 packs of the country."

   "Because I was afraid Tom. How else was I suppose to react? You've always been interesting in girls,  and so had I but then when I saw you at the house before school in your uniform, holding my birthday present and just grinning at me it just clicked. My wolf growled 'Mate' so loud in my head I thought I was gonna faint. Then later on that day you told us about your brother. How he was secretly dating Alex and that they were acting like mates. You sounded so disgusted by the idea that two male wolves were together my heart broke in two. I knew I couldn't be around you or our friends as they were just agreeing with you. So that night I went to the packs library and looked up an old book that had scent masking lotions, sprays and a whole lot of other things that I couldn't even begin to describe. I made the scent mask and just wore it everyday hoping that you would never find out, especially before your birthday. Then out of no where you and the boys decided to attack Alex. You just all went up to him and started to punch and kick him with such force, it scared me and I knew then I would have to run from you. That's when I made my plan. I packed everything up and decided I would go and live in that little cottage outside the lands that my father owns, try and clear my head and think of what I could possible do about the whole mate thing. But . . . because I had been so far away from the pack for so long for some reason my pack link just snapped. When I came to visit my parents like I normally did, the guards attacked me and called me a rouge. I tried to talk to them but they just kept hitting me. Known of them knew me and that was it I was thrown down here without a single word."

   I was shocked, he knew all that time that I was his mate but he never said anything because of what I had been saying about Alex and Rick. Looking back now I don't blame him for running away. It just hurts now listening to him talk and the sadness in his voice,  the sadness that I caused to him and in some way to myself. I remember the day that he went missing. It was my birthday. I found a present outside my bedroom door it smelled like Elijah but, there was nothing else about just that and a note. I opened it knowing that it was from Elijah, I had the biggest grin on my face while opening it. When I opened it there sat a rope bracelet with my name on a silver band, the colours of the rope were mine and his favourite colours. It was amazing and it just made me so happy to see it.

   "Elijah where are you in here?" I asked gently trying to find my mate in this horribly dark place.

   "I'm in the cell next to you, on the left." He spoke gently, it sounded like he was crying quietly to himself. I hate the fact that I ruined my possible mating by being so closed minded. I couldn't ask for a better mate then Elijah, he's my best friend and we grew up together. We know everything about each other.

   "Look. . ." I whispered as I stuck out my hand into the barely lit room. On my wrist was the bracelet he brought for my birthday.

  "The bracelet I got you for your birthday. . ." He chuckled a little before reaching out his hand to touch it but, I moved my hand to hold his while I spoke the truth.

   "I've never took it off, from the moment I saw it. Mum had to help me put it on because of the clasp, but I've never taken it off Elijah." With that we just sat there holding hands in the dimly lit room. I couldn't be happier even if I was terrified to have a male mate.