Chapter 20

Alex POV

As I walked down the corridor of the pack house with River in my arms, I could sense that something wasn't right. Like someone wasn't happy and my mother instinct just kicked in, I found myself walked towards the room that I didn't recognise. It wasn't until I reached the room and opened the door that I realised that it was Tom, crying quietly whilst curled up on his bed. My body instantly stiffened and I felt like I couldn't move but, then I felt myself moving towards him just slowly at first. Tom never looked up or said a word as I sat down next to him on the bed. Something wasn't right and something in me just felt like I needed to find out what and comfort him, whether that was because I was Ricks mate or because of the parental instinct.
"Hey Tom..." I whispered as I placed my hand on his back in a comforting way, inside I was terrified but like I said something just wasn't right.
"Ricks told ya and your just gonna make fun of me. Just leave, I know you're gonna find it funny."
   "I've not seen Rick for most the day, well ever since you had that meeting this morning." Tom looked up at me and whatever happened before just seem to disappear from my mind; his eyes were so red from crying and he just looked physically weak, somethings got to have happened for Tom to be like this.
   "So he didn't tell you?" He whispered as he sat up.
   "Nope. If you don't want to tell me you don't have to, it's your personal life Tom." I spoke softly and confidently as River started to fuss about in my arms, clearly not wanting to stay still.
   "I found my mate in the cells when Rick sent me there. It's all my fault Alex. . . they were there when I attacked you. They were already 18 so they knew I was their mate but, seeing me do that thought that meant I was going to reject them. I knew this person since we were kids and I couldn't imagine do that to them, they meant the world to me as a friend why would I hurt him as my mate. . ."
   "Him? I think I know who you're talking about Tom." I smirked after interrupting him, I knew who he was on about cause I always thought they were gonna get together or possible be mates.
   "Elijah. . . the most perfect and amazing wolf in this pack. Always thought about other people and always worried about me. Looking back at our friendship now I should of seen it coming." I smiled at Tom and stood up ready to leave, I know I've not said much to Tom but I know I've helped him in something. It's his fault yes what happened between me and Rick but, it was also Ricks fault for not helping me or stopping them. However, the best thing that came from me and Rick was my little miracle of a boy River.
As I walked away I smiled at my bundle of joy, his eyes and his smile is what made me keep going. River in general made me keep going when I left, I knew I had to survive for him and I did. That's why when I'm around Rick it doesn't hurt me in anyway, shape or form.
Walking into mine and Ricks room there was a little present on the bed, wrapped in red wrapping paper with a black bow over the top. I could see a card on the top with my name on, it read ...
"To my dearest Alex, this is for you and River.
       Love Rick xoxo"
   I smiled as I read the note, I could tell it was from Rick because it all smelled like him. As I pulled the bow and unwrapped the top of the box; I could see a top and jeans in there, as well as a smaller matching outfit. I just grinned as I picked up both pieces of clothing and layer them out on the bed. At the bottom of the box was another note...
   "I got you matching outfits, ready for our family date. Cannot wait to spend time with you and River, I'm gonna prove myself as best as I can."
   "Looks like we're gonna have to get you changed my little chub chub." I smiled at him as I lay him down on the bed, he just giggled and wiggled moving around as much as he could. It was like he knew what we were gonna do, and he couldn't wait.