SEVENTEEN

REIGNING PAIN IN NEW ORLEANS
______________

REIGNING PAIN IN NEW ORLEANS______________

______________

KLAUS HAD PULLED ME AWAY FROM MORE IMPORTANT THINGS. All because he wanted me to be present for a dinner to celebrate his return.

We sat down at the table Klaus on end and I on the other. Marcel and his vampires were seated around the table.

Klaus clinked his glass with a fork, "Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift: immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine"

I watched as Klaus gestured toward a group of waiters and waitresses to have them join the vampires at the table, one for each guest, "Insatiable need, exquisite pain..."

The servants slit their wrists, filling the bowls with blood for the vampires, "Our victories, and our defeats"

Klaus raised his glass in a toast, "To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow"

Marcel followed Klaus' actions and raised his glass, "And the party never end"

The vampires raised their glasses, "To New Orleans" Everyone chimed in before they drank

"I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires"

"What about her?" Diego pointed at me, "The Wolf"

"Had you'd let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like to address" Klaus walked over toward my end of the table, "As many of you know, the girl is carrying my children. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect"

He placed his hand on my shoulder, "However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumour that I intend to use the blood of our babies to create hybrids. I assure you I do not"

"Father of the year"

Klaus returned to his own seat, "It appears I will have to earn your trust. Very well. We'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how I can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the Bayou to turn?"

My eyes widened, "What? Klaus, no"

"So eat, drink, and be merry," He said, ignoring me, "And, tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt"

He looked at me, "Go ahead, have fun. Kill them all"

I WALKED DOWNSTAIRS AND TRIED TO SNEAK OUT. I looked around to make sure that I wasn't being followed.