sweetness

Days had passed and before long, weeks. We all grew accustomed to one another so much so, it felt like a family. But it felt different now with Declan. He was still recovering, his injuries grave, but he was almost like the father now. Enut had always filled that role but Declan was younger and while not wiser, he still had this instinct about him.

"Meera," he spoke, trying to be gentle but his voice always left things gravely. I was outside, sat by the dying embers of the fire and wrapped in furs as Enut and Little Fish had long since went to bed. I looked up, hands stalling on the new fur I was working on for Little Fish.

"Hey, why are you up?" I asked gently, him moving next to me and squatting. I smiled a bit, eyeing him in question. His face was darkened by the flashing light the embers provided, the smoldering light casting shadows.

"I should ask the same thing," he answered.

"Ah, I just... couldn't sleep, I guess. Sometimes the chill bites you so hard, even sleep cannot help," I chuckled a bit.

"Come to bed," he insisted, looking directly at me now.

"I'll be in a second-"

"No," he cut me off. "Come with me..to bed."

"With you?" I asked.

"I've taken your bed long enough. Now either join me or I'll sleep on the floor for now. Come, you're exhausted and I'm much stronger now."

"You're still-"

"It doesn't matter, you need a decent night's rest. I know how this temperature wears on you."

I sighed, smoothing over the wolf's pelt in my lap. I thought for a moment and realized how much warmer it would be sleeping beside someone. Little Fish and I had always done it, now she's cocooned in warmth from her Uncle, leaving me to shiver in a mound of furs on the floor. I was not bitter, no, I willingly gave up my bed to someone who needed it more. But now that someone is asking to share it with me and who was I to refuse?

"Come to bed, Meera," he whispered. I felt a flush fall over my body, it heating up just a degree from the way his dark eyes were piercing my own. I'd be lying if I said he and I had not grown close as of late, the two of us able to talk and find many things in common. He was...he was refreshing and something I never knew I quite needed.

"Alright," I relented, nodding. I gathered the pelt in my arms, pushing away the knife, needles, and thread off of me. I looked up and saw his hand extended for my own. I wasn't sure why but it made me giddy all over again. I pursed my lips to hide the large grin that wanted to split my face. We had touched each other plenty of times, Declan even engulfing me in a few hugs. But for some reason, this all felt a little different.

I stood with his hand in mine and realized he had no intentions of letting go. I followed him into the tent, one hand wrapped in his as the other held the white pelt. Once in, I moved to set the unfinished coat down before turning and following Declan. He sat me on the edge of my bed, kneeling by my feet. The fire was a bit more lively and I could see the others sound asleep.

My gaze shifted back to Declan, watching as he removed the boots I wore and rewrapped them in another pair of thick socks. His eyes portrayed many emotions but in the dark it was hard to tell just what was going on in his mind.

I was unsure what to do now, his figure standing and looming over me. He eyed me as well, waiting for any indication I was uncomfortable or not ready. But before I could overthink anything, I moved back on the bed and made room for him. I slid under the furs, watching as he removed his own boots before looking to me for permission.

I smiled and patted the space beside me, encouraging him I was okay with this. And already I was in absolute heaven over being in bed again. He climbed in next to me, the two of us situating our bodies quickly as sleep was clawing at our eyes.